Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I update the driver on my OfficeJet 4500 printer, Windows 10 will freeze during shutdown. I force a shutdown and restart, only to have it freeze during startup. This also happened when updating Windows Office 2010 from Microsoft. I then try to restart, but the system cannot self-diagnose the problem. Eventually I have to do a system RESET with personal files saved. Now I'm afraid to update any program although Windows updates themselves seem to go through OK. Does anyone know know the problem and how to fix it ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Are you trying to install the printer from the CD-ROM that originally came with the printer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-4500-All-in-One-Printer-Series---G5/391...

This device-driver dates from 2014 -- long before Windows 10 was released, and so it may not be compatible with Windows 10.

Or, does Windows automatically load the correct device-drivers?

Or, does Windows Update download and install the correct device-drivers?

HP Recommended

Hello

Two facts are known from looking at Office 2010 and HP 4500 printer using on Windows 10.

Both are supported on Windows 10.

So you have other problem.

Try clean windows install with only mouse and keyboard. Then connect printer later.

Be patient. Let Windows 10 install what it will and go through updates to current version of operating system. Have you created a new Windows 10 install USB lately? Try clean install with this. Have backup data plan which I hope you do first.

Here is Office requirements. Windows 10 needs version 14 of Office 2010. Maybe this is problem. If using correct Windows 10 HP 4500 drivers as previous post said that should be good.

I just build a new PC and had some strange things happen like you. It took three clean installs to get things right on Win 10.

Be patient and take one task at a time, check system for stable. Don't install any thing else. Wait and give Windows 10 update some breathing room before install all kinds of software.

Sometimes the symptom is not the problem.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I downloaded the HP drivers directly from the HP website. The original loading disk for the HP 4500 Setup no longer works as I assume it is not compatible with Windows 10 (the HP 4500 printer disc setup was originally for Windows 7). Every time I download the current up to date driver for the HP 4500 printer from the HP website  I do a shutdown and it freezes during shutdown. It will allow a forced shutdown but then it freezes during starup only allowing me to RESET the entire computer (it will save personal files). The self diagnosing repair says it cannot diagnose the problem.  Then I have to reload all programs - very, very frustrating.

HP Recommended

Found the answer !  Ran a diagnostic from the device setting and discovered there was a USB remote connection issue. I think that means my printer was trying to connect with my computer using wifi but I have a wired USB commection. After the repair all is well - no shutdown or startup freezes or hangs. Who knew such a little probel could cause a whole operating system to freeze up.  WOW !

HP Recommended

Good that you have found a solution.

Hint: do a "system checkpoint" before installing anything.

Then, if you have a problem, you can use "system restore" during a "repair" reboot to roll-back to a "working" status.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.