cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
raccoonman1
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 10 start button and cortana not responding

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

start button and cortana do not respond at all.  i am not in front of that computer now. am at a different location . i have tried solutions from the forums and none work. when i paste the solution commands inti the command promot, it says command not recognized. my computer is a pavilion

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
monkeyfish
Level 2
21 21 2 3
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, raccoonman1!

What command were you previously trying to run? Do you get the Critical Error message with this issue? If so, what is the exact text of the Critical Error message? 

If you haven't already, try out the methods posted by PaulSey here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/critical-error-start-menu-and-cort... as they have been known to help with the Critical Error message. 

I also suggest trying the methods posted by Syed here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/start-menu-and-cortana-not-w...

Let me know if any of these methods help.

I am a Microsoft Employee
0 Kudos
Level 6 aks3621
Level 6
445 435 24 69
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for postying your concern, could you try this -

• Right click on START BUTTON and choose - COMMAND PROMPT(ADMIN)
  • Type- POWERSHELL
  • Hit enter.
  • Paste-    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  • Hit Enter.

let that run and after that try hitting start button. It should hopefully work.

Although I work for HP but I'm speaking for myself.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Regards
Aks3621

0 Kudos
raccoonman1
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These are "old" solutions now. i tried them. were rejected by command prompt

0 Kudos
raccoonman1
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

tried it already.  didnt work. can't any "experts" come up with simething new?

0 Kudos
Level 6 aks3621
Level 6
445 435 24 69
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would suggest a clean install if that didn't help u already. Try this to access the settings in windows menu-

• Open run window
  • type- Explorer.exeshell:AppsFolder\Windows.ImmersiveControlPanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel
  • On the screen that would pop up after pasting above command in run window,
  • Select UPDATE AND SECURITY
  • Select GO BACK TO WINDOWS 8 (Or the previous operating system).

However this would work only if you would have upgraded to windows 10 within 30 days , if not  we will have to do a recovery on the unit. Write us back so we can help u further if required

Although I work for HP but I'm speaking for myself.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Regards
Aks3621

0 Kudos
raccoonman1
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spoiler

how can i find a run window if start buttun won't respond? did you mean command prompt?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation