Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (2,605 Views)

windows 8 serial key

hi,

i have just bought an hp pvailion desktop.  i have had a win 7 desktop previously from hp and all was fine.

however  on this desktop it has no win8 serial key. only a win8 sticker.

i called hp and they said that microsoft does not give serial keys for your pc anymore for re install etc.

i called microsoft as per hp tech support and they said that it should have come with a serial key.

i have googled and vannot see anywhere about not coming with a serial key. so where is it and what info is correct?

thanks

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (2,600 Views)

Re: windows 8 serial key

[ Edited ]

Hi:

It is funny that Microsoft has introduced Activation 3.0 and their support staff doesn't even know that the old COA sticker is a thing of the past.

The product key is now encoded in the BIOS.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-8-to-have-oem-activation-3-0/

That is bad because no longer will we be able to use a plain W8 install disk to reinstall the OS.

We will either have to use the recovery partition or recovery disks, or buy some retail version of W8.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation