cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
xxxstriker
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows update does not work and i even used recovery disks to start all over and same thing

QC461AV#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi and thank you 

hp support did tell me once a year or 2 recover intire computer with the hp recovery dvds that i got 

so i did that but this time 

my window updates just keep running and nothing 

so i figured i would do it again 

and same thing 

Model #: h8-1280t
Product #: QC461AV#ABA
Serial #: 
Software Build #: 12NA1MCW604#SABA#DABA
Service ID #: 010-717
PCBRAND: HP

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
18,858 18,800 1,756 4,155
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows update does not work and i even used recovery disks to start all over and same thing

xxxstriker

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Problem: Depending on how long since you have done Windows Updates in Win7, or if this is a new or clean install with NO updates having been run, Windows Update will appear to sit there with 0% downloaded indefinitely.

Background: The Servicing Stack Update (SSU) was taking an extremely long time to scan for updates, find the hundreds needed, and sort them into the proper sequence for downloading and installing.

Fix: Install the most current version of the SSU, then install the Juoly 2016 Cumulative Update, and reboot.

NOTE: On a new, or reinstall, of Win7, SP1 must already have been applied for this fix to work.

Process: These steps need to be followed exactly in order ...

1) Download the latest SSU KB3177467 (this replaces KB3020369) to a flash drive
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3177467

2) Download the latest Cumulative Update KB3172605 (July 2016 Rollup) to a flash drive
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

3) Stop the Windows Update service:
Open a command window and enter: net stop wuauserv

4) Double-click the KB3177467 file to install it (may have to reboot after this is done)

5) Double-click the KB3172605 file to install it
Note: If this KB does not install, then have to download and install KB3138612:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

Then, reboot and retry installing KB3172606

6) Reboot the PC

7) When back in Windows, restart the Windows Update service:
Open a command window and enter: net start wuauserv

Note: Windows might have already restarted that service, and will tell you it's already running when you attempt to manually start it

😎 Once it starts running, it should take only a short time for Windows Updates to find new updates and download them.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
23,577 23,359 2,020 7,375
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@xxxstriker

Edits > Removed content

See Experts' solutions.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
111,862 102,039 16,007 24,589
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the link to the Microsoft windows forum discussion on how to get W7 update to work again.

I had the same issue as you, and this worked just fine for me.  I did not even have to go to the advanced discussion.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-problems-read-th...

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation