cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows updates not working?

hp Pavilion HPE
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Every now and then I'll get a notification from my computer telling me to shut it down so that it can install updates. I choose the "shut down" option and the computer installs the updates before shutting down. However, these past few days it's been giving me that notification again, but every time I shut it down, it just shuts down and doesn't install anything. Every single day it keeps giving me the same notification but it won't install anything when I shut down! This is getting really annoying. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 2
Level 2
20 20 0 1
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Quander,

I have seen this issue a few times now. I have had positive results with uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Silverlight. This application seems to occasionally become corrupt causing the Windows Updates to stop downloading and being applied.

If you go to your control panel, add/remove programs, you can uninstall it there. Then go to the Microsoft site to download and reinstall:

https://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Once completed, go back to your windows updates and try downloading and installing again.

Please let me know if this resolves the issues you are seeing!

Thanks!

Wendy_R

I am an HP Employee.
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping! .
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,442 20,387 1,879 4,507
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quander

Hello;

#HPExpertDay

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about Windows Updates not working and wanted to help.

If the referenced Silverlight fix does not work, my suggstion is to download and use this tool to fix Windows Update: Download WindowsUpdateFixer - MajorGeeks

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just last night the computer actually updated something and appears to be fine now. It looks like the problem has resolved itself but if it starts up again I'll let you know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
Level 2
20 20 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very happy to hear that!

Please hit the thumbs up button below if you enjoyed this type of support!

Thanks!

Wendy_R

I am an HP Employee.
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping! .
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay. Now there's a new problem. The "windows update" window is now popping up constantly telling me to restart my computer in order to "finish installing important updates." When I restart my computer, nothing updates and the message eventually keeps popping back up. I've tried turning off the windows automatic updates function, but the window still keeps popping up! How do I get rid of this window for good??

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation