cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

windows xp registry issues

HP Recommended
pavilion a475c
Microsoft Windows XP

My win xp crashed due to registy issues.  When I boot up, I get a black screen with a msg that says that "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupted:  \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM".  Per online instructions, I tried to fix the registry using the recovery console and the win xp cd.  However, it shows three differentt locations: C:\I386, C:\miniNT, D:\WINDOWS.  Three locations are not addressed at any of the sites I accessed - they only show C:\WINDOWS.  I don't know where to go from here.  Can anyone help?  I know that I will have to install a new hard drive but I have important data and photos on that hard drive that I would rather not lose.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.  

Tim

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,786 25,719 2,358 5,577
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TimBoyle

The basic issue is WHY did your PC experience a "registry issue" -- and the most likely reason is that the hard drive is failing.

If it were mine, and I had NOT backed up important files to external storage from that drive, I would STOP using it immediately!  The more you use it, the greater the chance you will overwrite files you want to retrieve.

What I would do first, is focus on recovering data from that drive.  To do that, you would need to do the following:

1) Remove the drive from the desktop and look at the connectors on the drive.  If there are a bunch of little pins, this is an IDE drive.  IF there are two plastic connectors with gold leads on them, this is a SATA drive.

2) Purchase a USB-to-Hard drive adapter kit for the type of drive you have

3) Connect that drive to a working PC using that adapter

4) Download and install data recovery software on the working PC.  This is a free app for doing that: Recover Data in 3 Steps With MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition - MajorGeeks

5) Recover the files and folders you need to save to the working PC

6) Disconnect the old drive from the working PC

The second issue you are facing is restoring your PC to working condition -- and that is goind to be very hard for two reasons.

First, if the drive you took out is an IDE drive, it is virtually impossible to buy those these days, as the industry now makes and ships only SATA drives.

Second, HP hasn't stocked Recovery Media for their XP-era PCs for a long time, and without the HP media, any other version of XP that you install is NOT going to activate using the product key on the COA sticker on your PC, because that product key will only work with HP OEM versions of Windows XP.

So basically, at this point, about all you can do is recover the files and folders you want to save and consider getting a newer PC.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation