cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
scooter-c Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

write protected HP-Thumb drive

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1160t CTO D
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i Bought a HP 16 GB thumbdrive (TD) to use as a system backup.

I made the BIG  mistake of using it to backup 2 other important files, which overloaded the thumbdrive's capacity. I copied those files to another location without issue.

I attempted to delete those files and was notified that they were write protected. I then attempted to format the TD, which also stated I couldn't format because it was write protected. It has made the TD totally useless.

I'm not a computer expert, but do  know how to move around the machine. I don't know how to turn off the write protection.

HELP, PLEASE!:smileyfrustrated:

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @scooter-c,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that you have a USB thumb-drive that is write protected, and you need help to make it writable again. I am happy to help with this.

With the USB flash drive connected to your computer try this:

1. Press Win key+R and type "cmd" to open the command prompt. When the command window opens, type "diskpart" followed by <Enter>. This will likely launch in a separate window, and you may be prompted to start it.

2. In that window, type "list volume"  then <Enter>. This should display a list of the drives connected to your computer.

3. Find your USB thumb-drive in the list, the size column should help with identifying which is the drive you need.  Make note of the number of the drive in the list, in the first column.

3. Type "select volume x" <Enter> where x is that first column number.

4. Type "attributes disk clear readonly" <Enter>. 

5. Then type "exit" <Enter>,  which will close diskpart. 

6. Now test whether you can write to your thumb-drive. You may have to eject and then reinsert the drive again to get it working after this process.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
scooter-c Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry Matygris1.:womanmad:

Tried your solution several times (due to small fonts, had problems reading & typing), but it didn't work.

Back to square one.

:smileyfrustrated:Scooter

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. 

As that did not help, depending on your preferences you could try a bit of registry editing. If you are game for that, I advise that you make a back up of your current registry first. Back up the registry - support.microsoft.com

Once you have a backup made, then, use the navigation tree to open the following key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

If there is not a StorageDevicePolicies folder in the Control folder, right-click in the folder and select "New" → "Key." Name it StorageDevicePolicies and then open it.

Double-click the WriteProtect entry if it present. This will open the Edit window. If WriteProtect is not present then right-click in the folder and select "New" → "DWORD (32-bit) value." Name it WriteProtect and then save it. Double-click it to open the Edit window.

Change the "Value data" entry to 0. This will disable write protection for all of your USB drives.

Then close the Registry editor and reboot your computer.

Test to see if you can format or write to the USB Flash Drive after the reboot.

Let me know if that worked.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation