cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Voltlol Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

xw8400 workstation 204 memory error

xw8400 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Oay today my workstation started with the folowing error:

204 - Memory Load Incorrect

So , my memory sticks  are (which here I'll call A and B) two, placed on slots 1 and 5. So I made the following:

1. Swapped A and B from slots, (B was set on 1 and A set on 5), which gave me a 5 beeps + red blinks error

2. Placed only A on slot 1, which gave me sucessfull boot.

3. Placed only B on slot 1, which gave me 5 beeps + red blinks error

4. Any possible configuration of A and B with exception of A on Slot 1 and B on slot 2 give me 5 beeps + red blinks

5. If I place A on slot 1 and B on slot 5 I get the 204 error

5.1 If I boot on this configuration my OS (windows 7 ultimate 64-bit)  tells me that I have 4GB of RAM but only 2GB usable.

This made me think that B is just faulty, but if B was faulty shouldn't give me the 203—Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled, and my OS should only say I have 2GB RAM?

Other info:

The modules are equals and both came with the workstation

I haven't replaced any hardware before

Thanks if you can help 🙂

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
235 235 13 28
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

xw8400 workstation 204 memory error

Follow the configuration on page 16 of the following xw8400 quickspecs.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04136657&ver=8

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation