Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

LOVE this machine and just build one to the gills -- 600-watt (oem) power supply recently added as well 

Did the BIOS update and now it gets stuck on boot with "error 513 front chassis fan not detected"  -- I can F1 past it and all is good but obviously I need a fix for this.

This unit does not have a front chasis fan.

I am a NEWBIE here and would definately appreciate some input.

Thanks

David

Not a bad windows experience rating, eh?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As previously posted here, above, do the search for "Ghetto Mod".  There are two main posts for that from me, one for the xw6400 and the other for the xw4600.  Your case most closely matches the xw4600 case, but there is more Noctua info in the xw6400 post.

Read them both..... the answers are all there.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

David,

Welcome!  Nice performance there.....

I have posted on how to do a "Ghetto Mod" install of an official HP front PWM-controlled cooling fan for the xw4600, which has a variant of the case that you have.  Search in the "Search HP Forum" box on this page, which will get you only data from this forum itself.  Look for Ghetto Mod.

There is a front fan motherboard header for this fan, easy to find.  You can find the "chassis" type fans with the brownish (rather than white) fan wires end plug on eBay.  They're pretty easy to find.

You also can mount a non-HP non-PWM Noctua 92mm fan there as my posts for the same process with the xw6400 workstations explains.

Let us know how it turns out.  There may be a BIOS method to bypass F1 errors on that workstation like there is on the xw6400 but its better to fix those F1 errors at their source rather than to set BIOS to ignore them.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your response - I found out that the fan message is because my newly installed 600 watt (oem) PSU requires that from chassis fan -- that sucks though because I really don't need it and my pc already sounds like it's about to take off -  I have an asus gtx 680 in it with 2 giant built in fans

So just the fan is about $15-20  and the "kit" is $50.  I have no prob ghetto'ing it in there though -- but really wish there was a way to get around it 😕

I don't need another fan in there

thanks

david

HP Recommended

There are recoverable and unrecoverable F1 errors.  The BIOS in my xw6400/xw8400 workstations has an option to not see F1 error messages if the error is recoverable (the workstation will boot right through the error, and never tell you that it had happened).  Not sure if that is there on the xw6600/8600, but I think it is.

Here is the path: F10 into BIOS\ Advanced tab over on the far right\ drag down to Power-On Options\ find F1 Prompt on recoverable errors\ set that to disable.  You may be able to find the equivalent on your Z400.

With the nice Noctua 3 wire non-PWM 92x92x25mm fan you can use the provided Low Noise Adapter or ULNA on that fan, hooking it up to the first 3 pins of the motherboard header after shaving off that lip on the yellow wire edge.  It will run virtually silent out front with the Ghetto Mod, and keep your motherboard from nagging you.  The RPM signal going back to the motherboard on that third pin is the key to avoiding the F1 error.  If you want to really get down you might try a jumper wire from another of your internal HP fan's 3rd pin over that that motherboard header's third pin......

Personally, I'd go the non-PWM Noctua front fan approach.

HP Recommended

Thanks again so much Scott and sorry to be such a newbie here but would either  / both of these fit  the bill?  or why not get with the HP one for ~$20 ---  unless it's loud -- to be honest I like your jumper idea as well 🙂

If you would please send me a link or model number to exactly what you would reccomend -- I would appreciate it.  - and even if they say  3-4 pin -- I only use the 3 pin and shave it to work? right?  will it be obvious which 3 pins I hook it too?

Noctua NF-B9 92x92x25mm SSO-Bearing Blade Design With BBT and VCN - NF-B9-1600-0171818

Noctua 92 x 14 mm Low-Profile Cooling Fan with A-Series Blades (NF-A9x14)

THANKS!

HP Recommended

One more thought is that I have a space barebones case with a rear fan in it -- could I use that fan and ghetto it in?  -- anyway to easilly rig some resistors in line?

HP Recommended

As previously posted here, above, do the search for "Ghetto Mod".  There are two main posts for that from me, one for the xw6400 and the other for the xw4600.  Your case most closely matches the xw4600 case, but there is more Noctua info in the xw6400 post.

Read them both..... the answers are all there.

HP Recommended

absolutely perfect and amazing solution 

Total spend ~$25  and silent

thanks so much

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.