cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Szkolek
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

z420 AHCI ports - do not recognize disc

HP Recommended
HP z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I wanted to replace system drive in my HP z420, however it is not recognized after installing it into AHCI ports (first 2 ones, 6Gb/s). New drive is ssd Crucial MX200, and it is working in SCU ports, but only at 3Gb/s. Any idea what's wrong? In AHCI ports it is not even discoverable in bios.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
MtothaJ
Level 6
333 322 20 104
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Szkolek wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to replace system drive in my HP z420, however it is not recognized after installing it into AHCI ports (first 2 ones, 6Gb/s). New drive is ssd Crucial MX200, and it is working in SCU ports, but only at 3Gb/s. Any idea what's wrong? In AHCI ports it is not even discoverable in bios.

Try changing to AHCI+RAID. Do not worry too much as to what shows up in the bios since it is pretty primitive.

0 Kudos
Szkolek
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same thing. AHCI or AHCI+RAID do not show it in bios. The point is that even if there's a system on ssd drive I cannot boot it. If it's plugged into AHCI port it's not visible anywhere and post says "No system drive detected" or sth.

0 Kudos
MtothaJ
Level 6
333 322 20 104
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Szkolek wrote:

Same thing. AHCI or AHCI+RAID do not show it in bios. The point is that even if there's a system on ssd drive I cannot boot it. If it's plugged into AHCI port it's not visible anywhere and post says "No system drive detected" or sth.

Have you tried changing the Device Options settings in the bios from Legacy to EFI or vice versa (PXE, mass storage, video)?

0 Kudos
Szkolek
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep still nothing, seems like "no HP QVL" drives, do not work on AHCI ports?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation