cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mikefromoakland
Level 2
25 14 2 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

z620 CPU upgrade from z600

HP Recommended

Hello community,

I have a 2p z600 quadcore and interested in a 1p z620 .

can i place the cpu from the z600 in the z620 to have a 2p or  place both cpus?

mike d

oakland

ps

id like to add my ram too

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SDH
Level 10
2,186 2,141 200 632
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The processors that will work with a particular HP workstation are limited in number based on whether they have passed the HP qualification process.  Just because a processor "should" be able to work in a HP workstation does not mean that it will.  HP establishes which ones will boot up by having a processor ID list embedded in the BIOS of the workstation in a section called the "microcode".  Updates of the HP BIOS may or may not contain an update to that microcode list.  There have also been, more rarely, dedicated HP microcode updates without an associated BIOS update.

The most recent QuickSpec, attached, for a Z620 workstation will include a listing of the HP-approved processors, and if you update your BIOS you will have the most recent microcode list embedded within that.  I have not found a way to view the microcode list itself.

I have seen older QuickSpecs for a particular workstation that had older processors listed which were not included in the more recent QuickSpecs for that workstation.  I would presume that the older processors, however, would still be contained in the microcode section of the BIOS in addition to the newer processors listed in the new QuickSpec.  I doubt they would drop a previously listed processor from the microcode just because they no longer have it printed in the newest QuickSpec.

The addition of a second processor to the Z620 is not possible in all cases, depending on what type the first one is.  Per the QuickSpec:

"NOTE:  Z620 systems configured with E5-1600 series processors may not add a 2nd processor. To support

two processors, E5-2600 series processor must be chosen."

One way to see if a processor will work is to simply try it, with the latest BIOS installed ahead of time.  That should not hurt the processor or the motherboard, but you should make sure ahead of time that the processor is designed for the socket you are putting it in.  You can see the socket type for a Z620 by looking at an approved processor for that workstation in the Intel Ark documents.  It is easier to simply see if a processor is (or had been) listed in the QuickSpec for that workstation.

Your older processor from the Z600 probably is not compatible with the Z620.  In the past when I have tried processors for the xw6600 or xw8600 workstations in the xw6400 or xw8400 models (all having exactly the same socket type) the BIOS would not progress into even the most primative stage of boot up.

Scott

0 Kudos
mikefromoakland
Author
Level 2
25 14 2 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

doh!! Thanks for the heads up!..

would b nice to upgrade to a newer mobo! and keep my cpus...

Maybe someone at HP might know?

Mike d

Oakland ca.

0 Kudos
Dan_WGBU
Level 6
Level 6
234 234 35 73
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Z600 supports the Intel 55xx (Nehalem) and 56xx (Westmere) processors.  These are 1366 land (pin) CPUs.  The Z620 supports the next generation Intel E5-16xx and E5-26xx processors (Sandy Bridge EP).  These are 2011 land CPUs, and are physically larger than the Z600 CPUs. 

The Z600 CPUs are totally different than the Z620 ones, so they cannot be used in a Z620 motherboard. 

The Z600 RAM can be used in the Z620.  Since the Z620 support 1600 memory (all memory speeds depend on particular CPU), and the Z600 had a maximum memory speed of 1333, the 1333 memory will probably work in a Z620 but will not run at the higher speed possible with some Z620 CPUs.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
0 Kudos
Pconnelly
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am trying to help a teacher with his 2 labs, he is goign to be running Autodesk 3D Max but needs better machines so i suggested HP Z420, Z600, Z620 that he already has an just upgrade the graphics card to a Quadro 2000 (4gb)  but after ready the below link

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=system&produc...

I see they do not mentioned the Z600 only the Z620 and Z420.  Do you think the Z600 would work?

Any help woudl be apprecaited

p

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation