Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i know this is a bit of an old thread, but i am about to give this a try.

Is the advice then to first do a bios update, getting it to the latest version before then reading it, and then re-programming it with the updated boot block data?

**{{ When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! ]]**
HP Recommended

This thread had been shut down by HP a few years back ... active again, wow!

HP Recommended

@Scoobis wrote:

Is the advice then to first do a bios update, getting it to the latest version before then reading it, and then re-programming it with the updated bood block data?

Yes, not necessary but a good idea.

HP Recommended

i better copy down the info before it disappers then 🙂 

HP Recommended

Not that it disappears, just that you could not post anymore. That is why the thread went dead in 2016. It has been such a while ago that I have forgotten a lot about it but do still have the Bus Pirate and chip clip. 

Since then others may have found a simpler way of doing it but were unable to post in this thread.

HP Recommended

Oh please do tell, i dont mind doing the bus pirate thing, but if theres info on a simpler method, id be game for that.

This is the only info so far that i've found on how to do it.

HP Recommended

@Scoobis wrote:

Oh please do tell, i dont mind doing the bus pirate thing, but if theres info on a simpler method, id be game for that.

This is the only info so far that i've found on how to do it.

Look at post #68, #69 by MtothaJ in this thread. He was up to something and then the thread got shut down. Maybe PM him.

HP Recommended

SalSimp.... good to hear from you again.

I've done it via both of the two practical ways on the Z620..... bought 2 brand new Z620 version 2 "virgin" motherboards and learned how to "brand" or "tattoo" them properly to be W7Pro64 HP OEM COA certified motherboards that can still be upgraded gratis to W10Pro64 via Microsoft's generosity and their relationship with HP.  This was more research and work than the second method, below.

And, I also have bought used Z620 version 2 (pre-branded/pre-tattoed by definition) motherboards off eBay.  This is the easy way.

Both approaches worked fine in my cast off version 1 used Z620 cases, which now are version 2 Z620 workstations this way, running overclocked E5-1660 v2 processors.  Same concepts hold true for Z820s.

So, my advice is to be proactive, and to spend some time with the eBay Z820 used motherboard images to find the version 2 motherboards.  Pay attention to the white label, and to the revision two-digit alphanumeric, and to the google results for Z620 spare parts and Z820 spare parts HP search results.  The answers are all in this paragraph.

It is a lot easier and less risky than zapping your original motherboard....

I can swap in a used motherboard to go from version 1 to version 2 in less than 1/2 hour.  Upgrade your BIOS after the new/used motherboard is in from within BIOS.  Never do it from within W10 is my advice.  You can always use your original version 1 processor in the version 2 motherboard while you save up for a nice V2 processor.  Your original version 1 motherboard remains as a nice backup this way.  For me this results in a 1/2 hour downtime.... 1 hour max.

HP Recommended

well, if the alterative is buying antoether motherobard, then, relaly the risk of bricking it isnt that much of a risk. 🙂  so really no harm in trying. 

HP Recommended

Scoobis,

Please keep us posted.... I'm very interested in this.  How much was the pain?

Downtime is a significant issue for our enterprise, but I'm willing to spend 1/2 hour on that and about 75.00 for a version 2 Z620 motherboard to upgrade a version 1 box to a version 2 box.  For the Z820 version 1 to version 2 conversion it is about 180.00 USD with careful eBay shopping, and the mechanics can be faster because there is more room in a Z820.

The V1 to V2 processor upgrade would be the same cost either way, so that part is a wash.  I never discount the value of having a backup known-good older processor and motherboard.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.