Post new question
Question
Elite x3 reboots by its own, and sometimes freezes
Replies (118)

Honor Student
Message 21 of 119 (1,316 Views)

Re: Elite x3 reboots by its own, and sometimes freezes

Freezing, rebooting and reboots that freeze and reboots that trigger another reboot ... Annoying is beginning to be an understatement.

Firmware 14.0100
OS 14393.321
Tutor
Message 22 of 119 (1,303 Views)

I am using version 14959. About 3 updates ago the x3 started restarting randomly and freezing sometimes. I removed it from its case(the folio one from hp) and the problem went away. With each update i keep trying it with the case back on and same problem. I restored it to an earlier production version and it was fine. Didn't restart. So now I have to use it without the case.

Great phone though, just shame about the case!!

Tutor
Message 23 of 119 (1,224 Views)

This phone has been driving me insane!! My phone now freezes whenever I use text messaging. Does anyone know if I need to do a factory reset to fix this or what? I also am experiencing problems using Groove music while docked.

Honor Student
Message 24 of 119 (1,217 Views)

I have removed the case and this does seem to help tremondously! 

The phone still seems to randomly freeze / reboot every 1 to 2 days but, that is more acceptable than multiple times per day / per hour.

Top Student
Message 25 of 119 (1,202 Views)

For the freezing during text messages I found if you delete all messages, turn off text message sync, and watch for one message to send (receiving a time stamp) before sending another you will not have crashes. Might slow you down and not be the answer any of us want, but it helps.
Tutor
Message 26 of 119 (1,198 Views)

Thanks buddy. I'll look into it. I'm trying to talk to this girl and it's like a few minutes waiting time in between our messages because of my phone freezing. She is getting the wrong idea ... Thanks Microsoft, you clock blocker. Lol
Tutor
Message 27 of 119 (1,168 Views)

I have many of the issues that have been described by fellow elite X3 owners. At the beginning I thought my issues where from a restore I did. I had a Nokia Lumia 1520 running fast ring builds. I had backed up on that 1520 and restored on to the elite X3. When I started having issues I decided to use the recovery tool because the phone wouldn't do anything and just freeze. At this point I didn't restore from 1520 back and started fresh. I immediately updated to AU over the air. The phone didn't cause any problems for weeks. About two weeks later I had notice my phone would lag and not cooperate. I didn't know what was going on. The phone will give sim errors message. I was able to browse the internet but I couldn't make phone calls or play a video from the YouTube webpage. I tried shutting off the phone but it would stay frozen. So I would hold the power button for 10 seconds to reboot. The phone will turn on and off on its own. Finally the phone would boot but unable to do anything. So I hold power button again and hope it will not go on a crazy cycle of on and off. Once the phone was working properly. I decided an app was causing this problem. I removed a lock screen customization app and everything went back to normal. Days later lag started again and freeze.

I thought the phone it self was defective some how. I decided to take it back to my local MS store where I bought it. What they did was just replace it. So I decided to update the new phone at the store over their Wi-Fi. It started updating the apps and other things afternoon I went through setup menu. I was looking to see how well the apps were updating but saw only a few apps were updated and installed. So I decided to pause all of them and tried updating one by one but it wouldn't update for 20 minutes. So I approached a MS rep. and asked on what was going on with the phone. I asked why it doesn't update. Rep said maybe too many people on their Wi-Fi. So I decided to take it back home do it there where It's reliable and fast. The same thing kept happening. No update improvement. At this point the AU wasn't able to update either. It would never move and stay at zero percent for hours. I finally decided to use the recovery tool once again and update that way. It worked and updated. Weeks later the same problem came upon.

Once again I went to the store got it replaced. Same problem persists with updating and used the recovery tool to update once again. About week and a half later the freezing started and the random reboots would happen. I decided to remove an app but it didn't help. So I shut off fingerprint scanner and nothing happened. I decided to reboot the phone and it worked. Less than a week later the problem happened again. Now I don't know what to do.

Hp please acknowledge this issue and fix it sooner than later. This is my daily phone and I really on it heavily. It's an expensive phone and shouldn't have this type of issues. I'm in the verge of returning it and getting a full refund. I don't want to do this. I love the phone. Peace ✌
Honor Student
Message 28 of 119 (1,162 Views)

I found a temporary solution for these freezing issues. Issue got minimized a lot after a changed the text scaling under display settings to zero scalling. keeping the bar all the way to left and restarted the phone. Since then it is lot stable than before for sure. But issue is not gone completely.

Intern
Message 29 of 119 (1,156 Views)

I now have my third HP Elite x3.

The first one, definetly faulty. It was very slow, even after a reset with the WDRU.

The second one was OK, but it had some cosmetic error (the glas had an error).

Now i have the third one.

Every phone somethimes reboots by it own. My 3rd rebootet while i was downloading music via groove music.

I think there are some faulty phones, but there is also a generell stability problem.

HP should really look into this. It is a very expensive phone, so it should work "perfekt". With perfekt i mean, that it should be stable and fast.

Tutor
Message 30 of 119 (1,146 Views)

That's exactly what happened when I shut off the fingerprint scanner under Windows Hello. It's been working better, but this issue is still not gone. Is anyone else using text scaling at a higher percentage?

I will try this and get back to you. I am using it at 120%.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation