Post new question
Question
Elite x3 reboots by its own, and sometimes freezes
Replies (107)

Tutor
Message 51 of 108 (669 Views)

Re: Elite x3 reboots by its own, and sometimes freezes

I don't know if anyone's seen my other post but one last thing to try is registering your phone with your provider. Since this is an unlcoked phone, it might be an overlooked step.

Ever since I went to the AT&T store and registered my x3's IMEI # with them, I've had zero freeing issues. I've logged into all my accounts, got all my music, apps, etc. and no freezing issues yet. I still don't use the SD card but I can live without out. 64GB is plenty for me.

Tutor
Message 52 of 108 (649 Views)

I've had my x3 for 4 weeks now.  For the first two weeks it worked fine.  Then I woke one morning to find it frozen/dead.  Just the green LED on it from being on charge overnight (wireless charger).  Since then it's been a downward spiral with it freezing most often when it's on charge, but also randomly when doing things such as hanging up a phone call, recieving an SMS, or just trying to turn it on (open the cover that is).  Honestly, I'm about ready to return it and request a full refund at this point from the Microsoft Store in Sydney.

I've tried disabling Windows Hello, no change.

The phone is unlocked, and given the plan I am on is not including the phone itself, there's nothing there to be done.

Version: 1607

OS Build 10.0.14393.576

Firmware 0002.0000.0018.0105

Hardware Revision 1.0.0 (R-DS)

Bootloader 520161

Radio Hardware Version 1.0.0.0

What will HP/Microsoft do to resolve this?  Surely the number of posts reported here in these forums about freezing is an indication of the issue...

Tutor
Message 53 of 108 (609 Views)

After multiple lockups over the last few days, I've declared the phone not feasible to use at this point.  I've tried many of the suggestions here on these and other forums.  I've now removed the SIM from the X3 and put it into my 640XL.  The X3 has been kept with me and even without the SIM now continues to lock up.  I can fairly predictably get it to lockup when using eithe the wireless charging overnight or the USB C Cable for charging.

Are there any HP support resources on this forum monitoring these threads or are we on our own?

Tutor
Message 54 of 108 (600 Views)

I tried all of these suggestions myself and had no success until I used the Windows Device Recovery Tool program. I did not restore anything nor did I set up hello or fingerprint scanning. My x3 is working perfectly for nearly a week now.
Tutor
Message 55 of 108 (592 Views)

I I will be very happy to see how you go with it.  After 3 weeks if it still works, enable fingerprint and Hello.

If it breaks at that point then HP need to sort this out.

I REALLY want this to work, but I have now missed several important calls due to my phone being locked up and I don't know it.  HP - are you listening?  We want to use the product and the features it was designed to work with.  Please help us.

Tutor
Message 56 of 108 (437 Views)

I see that this thread seems to have died....

I've had my phone without it's sim now for several weeks - and yet it still locks up.

Sure - I can't use it at all, and I'm about to return to Microsoft and request a full refund of the phone and accessories as the product is not fit for use in it's current form.

Has anyone else FIXED this issue?

Tutor
Message 57 of 108 (410 Views)

I've posted this a few times on this forum, Windows Central, and Reddit. Not sure if you've tried this but the only thing that stopped my phone from consistently freezing, was when I registered my device with my provider. The IMEI number found in your device information. 

My first x3 gave me problems for over a week. I returned it and got a new one, fresh out of the box. It started acting up the same after a few days. I didn't get a replacement SIM tray, just took it to the AT&T store and registered my device and from that night on, I've had ZERO freezing issues. Not even once. Throughout all my Continuum use, Bluetooth to multiple devices, apps, everything and I've had no more freezes thank goodness. 

Only thing is I don't use an SD card but I'll live without it.

Hope this helps.

Tutor
Message 58 of 108 (402 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, however I had seen that earlier and tried for 1 week with the fligth mode turned on (I was using a 2nd phone) - it still locked up multiple times.

I've reformatted the phone 48 hours ago, and it installed the most recent HP firmware from January - so far it's been 48hrs without a lockup (I've only had the sim installed for 24 hours however).  Lets see how it goes.

Thanks for responding - I feel that HP are not participating in these forums at all which honestly is not good.

Wayne

Tutor
Message 59 of 108 (394 Views)

Well, to this point my phone has been very good. Lately it has started to freeze up just a little bit but not to the point of needing a reset. Usually, I need to kill tasks to get it to work better. I believe the windows recovery tool and registering the phone with the provider is the way to go. It is possible that not setting up fingerprint and hello is also a contributing factor to the success.
Tutor
Message 60 of 108 (391 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmm, sorry that didn't work. When I was experiencing this issue, it would rarely happen when I had data turned off.

Email HP support and when someone responds (if they do lol), ask for Tenzin. He seemed interested in helping more so than anyone else and was always responsive. He moved to a different department but would know who to contact.

Hope they can help resolve this issue once and for all. It really has been a great phone aside from general Windows Phone weirdness.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation