Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just wanted to close this topic.

It was after all a mechanical problem with the SIM tray.

After spending much time with complex tests about to track the power peaks and shortages that were causing the invalid SIM and SD unmounting issues, I actually started testing the device with multiple SIM cards. I have about 10 real and working SIM for carriers from all around the world. All Nano SIM cards, bought in that size, were not working. Only an 11-year-old italian SIM card, bought in standard size and cut to fit in the tray for nanos, was working. A part the newer circuitery of the newers SIMs, only the thickness of the plastic support is different: about 0.4mm.

I decided then to give it a try: I glued a piece of plastic about 0.5 mm to the back of a Nano SIM card, waited for the glue to dry perfectly (you don't want to get the extension stuck within the device), and voila'! Every SIM card that I have now works perfectly on the device! 2 days now with no errors anymore!

Also, the SIM cards still work on my other current devices (950XL, S7, L650, Note 6, and iPhone 6s).

So, HP was right: there is a problem with the SIM tray which doesn't properly push the SIM card against the contacts on the phone. Or maybe, the internal PINs are not "high" enough to reach the card. Either way, I solved my problem and I am very very happy with the device again!

HP Recommended

Are you going to release new firmware with Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update?

HP Recommended

@nismonet wrote:

Wonder what they'd fix. The device is rock solid now.

Only thing I'm missing is the FixEverything.dll assembly.

HP Recommended
Magnetic cover bug?
HP Recommended

@PerfectReign wrote:

@nismonet wrote:

Wonder what they'd fix. The device is rock solid now.

Only thing I'm missing is the FixEverything.dll assembly.

I really count that HP will finally changed double tap to wake feature to double tap known from Lumia devices.

HP Recommended

@nismonet wrote:

I really count that HP will finally changed double tap to wake feature to double tap known from Lumia devices.

Wouldn't that be nice. The DTTW using the acceleramotor is horrid. I have it turned off. If it used the digitizer like on the Lumia devices, we'd be golden.

Three things I miss about this device: DTTW (not implemented correctly), Glance Screen (the HP display is just done wrong and isn't secure), and a camera button (we professionals need cameras too.)

HP Recommended
Yes, the DDTW is a poor implementation and having used Lumias for years, I really hate having to push the power button.

Aside from that, the lack of Glance Screen is very disappointing. I can see where perhaps HP thought it not that critical, assuming they never habitually used a Lumia, buy it is something I hate living without.

As for a Camera Button, I'd settle for a good camera, button or not. This camera in the "Elite X3" pales in comparison to 950 XL and other competitive phones in the price range (Samsung, iPhone).

For that reason I just bought another Lumia 950 XL (to replace the one I dropped 3 weeks ago and broke) just so I could have that great camera and other features for my travels. They are on sale now so, why not!?

Of course, I hope the X3 will be a better build quality for daily use.

With what seems to be the end of the line for Windows phones, you could say that by buying the X3 and another 950, I'm stocking up for a "long winter" without future Windows Phone buying options.

Sad and frustrated but can't find it in my heart and mind to switch to Android or iPhone. While they have their benefits (apps mainly) and market share, to me using them seems archaic.
HP Recommended
PS: Maybe my poor assessment of the X3DDTW experience would make more sense the HP if they realize that I'm used to softly double tapping with my thumb, not hitting it with a finger from my other hand. It works beautifully on Lumias, even on my 640 XL which I also have in reserve. 🙂
HP Recommended
Sorry, one last thought. If trying to save manufacturing costs on buttons on hopefully a next generation, get double tap to wake working properly then do away with power button and add back a camera button.
HP Recommended
I actually use the fingerprint to wake up the phone, it's fast and reliable in my experience. I did set to lock everytime after a minute, so fingerprint is a good solution instead of the double tap.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.