Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Elite x3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all do you think it is possible to change OS for Elite X3 ? 

Win mobile is quite dead and just to keep this beautiful and expensive Phone alive I would like to install an android one. What do you think ? You can do the basic things with Windows mobile 10. In December WhatsApp will be out too

appreciate your thoughts community

than you

Alex

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I've also been frustrated by this.  I ran into one of the old hardware team people and the issue is that the boot unlocker is not a public thing.  Back when they were working on this a few of the techs tested Android on it and it worked fine as you can imagine.  I'd love to have the same.  Maybe we can keep this thread going and see something happen.  That phone is so nice it breaks my heart that I can't have the apps I need on it.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply on that. It gives some hopes for the future (hope not too long to wait) . In fact it is a great phone and i like it with windows 10 on it and i’m a little disappointed to must switch to another OS. But this would keep il alive .

thank you again for your reply. 
keep in touch for update

have a nice day ahead

Alex

HP Recommended

Hi,

A couple of months ago have found some links on the net which describe how to install Android. But you will remain with half of the phone, i.e. no camera, no SD, ...

I didn't file the links, the solution seemed not acceptable.  

HP Recommended

Hey User314,

Yeah that's frustrating to hear.  I keep hoping Xdevelopers will pull something together for the full OS.

HP Recommended

To continue this path:

1. I found this link for rooting a Lumia - https://mobilespecs.net/phone/root/HP/HP_Elite_x3.html

2. I know it's a different phone, but I went to WP internals.https://www.wpinternals.net/. This developer has updated this tool in January!

3. Part of his tools are a root access test.  Intriguing!  I'm going to have to grab my phone and try this.  

HP Recommended

Hi Fritzerr, that's great. Please let us know the result. Wish it will go smoothly with no troubles :-). Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

We bought several HP Elite x3 phones for work. I love this phone, especially the audio & video quality!  Would love to go back to my x3. Fingers crossed someone figures out a way to install a fully functional version of Android.

HP Recommended

Hey all,

I finally got into work and grabbed my Elite X3, filled with excitement about a possible androiding!  I went to wpinternals and downloaded Rene's tool.  The first thing I noticed in the read me was the level of OS supported.  His tool that was recently updated, supports up to 10.0.15254.547.  My Elite is at 562!  Oh man. 

I still wanted to go through the different pieces just on the off chance that the tool could look at the phone.  The next piece would be to find drivers that allow the phone to be seen by the computer.  After a long slog through the XDA developers I'm not sure it'll be possible, but I'll keep digging.  Just wanted to share the minimal progress with you all.

HP Recommended

Hey all, 

Here's the latest.  I've connected the X3 to my computer at home and it was auto recognized as storage, so I thought it was a pretty good start.  I d/led wpinternals and unfortunately it did not see the phone.  Rene's app says this could be a driver issue and suggested using the windows device recovery tool.  I d/led that and it saw the phone!  Yeah.  It couldn't read the version of firmware and listed the latest online.  I confirmed that my phone had the same version, but figured I'd run it in hopes that the drivers might catch so Rene's tool would work.  It erased the phone back to factory and after restart it went back to seeing the phone and not being able to read the firmware and wanted to install.  Sigh.  

I clearly need to read a bit more within the wpinternal tool.  I has a lot of info to look at.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.