Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite x3 verizon
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I turn on my elite x3, it gets stuck in this UI, and I can never quit to a normal UI.

11111.jpg

if connected to a windows 10 system pc, and turned on, it goes to a normal UI. If then shut off the connection and reset the mobile, it still goes to engineer mode.

I've tried recovering x3 with Windows Device Recovery Tool, tried updating to latest version of win10 mobile, and running recovery option, which don't work.

Could anyone plz tell me how to quit this auto-entered Engineer mode?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there.  That is interesting.  I actually have attempted to boot to that diag menu but never succeeded.  I wonder if this is only possible on the VZW models or just your model in particular for some reason.

So this looks like it booted an MMOS image. You can try to use ffutool to set back the boot mode to its default and see if that works.

You will need a working version of FFUTOOL.EXE that supports the below command.

Boot your phone and hold the UP Volume key until the lightnig bolt and sprocket appear.  Connect it via the USB cable to your pc.

To disable MMOS mode use the following ffutool command from powershell or command prompt while you phone is connected : "FFUTool.exe -setBootMode 0"

HP Recommended

Where is the FFUTOOL.EXE downloaded

HP Recommended

FFUTOOL can be found and in and installed from the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kits.  Pick at least the version 1607 or a version later than from build 1607 to install. 

You can download the ADK here

Give it a try.  It can't hurt at this point since your phone is stuck booting that way. 

I was thinking too maybe the other reason it continues to boot like that was due to a hardware issue, maybe HP has something internally setup to make it go to the Diag OS to test the hardware if it cant boot normally...however it is not likely since I have never seen other Windows phones boot differently with hardware issues.  Reply back if it works.

HP Recommended

After trying, it seems not to be able to do so.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.