Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (368 Views)

HP Warranty Expired on 12/3 but only bought pc on 5/3 ?? - help !

Hi,  I bought PC from PC World on 5/3...... when I bought it the salesman said that the PC had been set up ready for use ... it was in a box that had been resealed by PC World and marked as 'set up'.  The salesmand was keen to tell me that there was usually a cost for setting up a PC like this (£35) and that it saved me having to do anything other than plug it in and go !!!

Then as I start to get familar with the PC &  notice that a message from HP tells me my HP warranty expired on the 12/3 ... how can this be when I have only had the PC for 7 days ???

I was not told I had to register anything (PC World said they had set everything up)  nor was I told why the warranty had expired.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this situation i.e. I believe I should have a year's warranty with HP and I want this to be confirmed by them but what do I need to do and how ??

Many thanks

Jay

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (357 Views)

Re: HP Warranty Expired on 12/3 but only bought pc on 5/3 ?? - help !

[ Edited ]

Hi, Jay:

See if the info at the link below is of help to you...how to dispute the warranty start and end dates.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05084516

If the link doesn't work for some reason, you will have to contact HP support in the UK by telephone.

0207 660 0596   M-F 08:00 - 17:00

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (338 Views)

Thank you Paul, I will try this and let you know the outcome. Jay
Provost
Message 4 of 4 (332 Views)

You're very welcome, Jay.

I had to do the same thing for a HP notebook I purchased.

I don't know why they (HP) do what they do, but they start the warranty when the product leaves the factory.

So the longer it sits in a reseller's warehouse, the warranty days are ticking down.

To me, it would be a lot easier if they just started the warranty when you registered the product.

The have a close date when the product was made...

The 4th, 5th, and 6th digits of the serial number = the year and week of production.

Y = the last digit of the year.  For example 6 would be 2016. 

WW = 01-52 being the first calendar to last calendar week of the year.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation