Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (423 Views)

Receiving Calls from Someone Claiming to be from HP and Directing me to Give them Control of my PC

Product Name: Envy dv6
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About a year ago, I sent my laptop in to HP for paid technical support. I was pleased with the entire experience and the laptop is still working well.

Today, I received a call from someone claiming to be from HP Support. He told me that there were some security upgrades he needed to help me install and asked me to open the run command box and www.supremocontrol.com.

That's when I stopped him and told him to provide me with contact information so I could call him back. I immediately contacted HP Support and was told that technicians are not allowed to call customers and that they have been receiving notice of these types of calls for the last month. He also reassured me that HP is investigating this.

My first question, how did this guy have all of my information? He knew my name, my private mobile number, and that I had sent my laptop in to HP for service about a year ago.

There has definitely been a data breach at HP and they should contact all tech support customers over the last two years and let them know that this issue exists so they aren't scammed.

I'm very network security aware and this guy nearly had me convinced. Because I know better, and know what to do, I didn't get hacked, but others will surely fall victim to this scam.

Message 2 of 4 (418 Views)

Re: Receiving Calls from Someone Claiming to be from HP and Directing me to Give them Control of ...

@ca_boy69

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (408 Views)

Re: Receiving Calls from Someone Claiming to be from HP and Directing me to Give them Control of ...

Thank you Danny! I'll await further contact.

Highlighted
Top Student
Message 4 of 4 (369 Views)

Re: Receiving Calls from Someone Claiming to be from HP and Directing me to Give them Control of my

[ Edited ]

I experienced same issue like you this week.  

About 2 months ago, I sent my computer to HP for repair as it is still in warranty. I got a called 3 days ago from a guy claiming to be an HP employere.  He sounded very convicing saying my compuer that was repaired 2 months ago had security issues and also provided me with a case number and a call back number.  

He asked me to go to a remote assistance website. He took control of my computer then I got supicious. It was a little too late for me. 

I think I am fairly tech savvy and this guy was able to convince me that he works for HP.  

I totally agree that there has been a data breach at HP. 

- How did this guy know I had my computer repaired by HP 2 months ago?

- How did he know my personal details - name, phone number, address etc 

When I called HP, they even made the mater worse by asking me to purchase smartFriend.  At this point, I thought I am dealing with very experienced scammers.  Calling HP for assistance, they are instead asking you to spend more money. Difficult to discern who is a real HP employee. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation