Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About a year ago, I sent my laptop in to HP for paid technical support. I was pleased with the entire experience and the laptop is still working well.

Today, I received a call from someone claiming to be from HP Support. He told me that there were some security upgrades he needed to help me install and asked me to open the run command box and www.supremocontrol.com.

That's when I stopped him and told him to provide me with contact information so I could call him back. I immediately contacted HP Support and was told that technicians are not allowed to call customers and that they have been receiving notice of these types of calls for the last month. He also reassured me that HP is investigating this.

My first question, how did this guy have all of my information? He knew my name, my private mobile number, and that I had sent my laptop in to HP for service about a year ago.

There has definitely been a data breach at HP and they should contact all tech support customers over the last two years and let them know that this issue exists so they aren't scammed.

I'm very network security aware and this guy nearly had me convinced. Because I know better, and know what to do, I didn't get hacked, but others will surely fall victim to this scam.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ca_boy69

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you Danny! I'll await further contact.

HP Recommended

I experienced same issue like you this week.  

About 2 months ago, I sent my computer to HP for repair as it is still in warranty. I got a called 3 days ago from a guy claiming to be an HP employere.  He sounded very convicing saying my compuer that was repaired 2 months ago had security issues and also provided me with a case number and a call back number.  

He asked me to go to a remote assistance website. He took control of my computer then I got supicious. It was a little too late for me. 

I think I am fairly tech savvy and this guy was able to convince me that he works for HP.  

I totally agree that there has been a data breach at HP. 

- How did this guy know I had my computer repaired by HP 2 months ago?

- How did he know my personal details - name, phone number, address etc 

When I called HP, they even made the mater worse by asking me to purchase smartFriend.  At this point, I thought I am dealing with very experienced scammers.  Calling HP for assistance, they are instead asking you to spend more money. Difficult to discern who is a real HP employee. 

HP Recommended

We had the same problem. Someone calls claiming to be from the technical department at HP. He or she, claims our computer has been sending messages to HP saying we are infected with malware. I told them to email me the information and I will check it myself. They hung up. But, we did have an issue with the computer last year where I called HP and they did take over the computer to fix the problems, more than one time. This person knew the date of those calls and other information. I just keep hanging up on them. does anyone know if HP ever calls customers after receiving info from our computers? There are options to send info to HP automatically. I want to know from HP if they really call customers after recieving the information. 

HP Recommended

> I want to know from HP if they really call customers after receiving the info. 

Have you seen the topic at the top of this board?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Forum-Feedback-Suggestions/How-to-Avoid-Tech-Support-Phone-Scams/m-p/5...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.