Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac048tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there any problem if delete SWsetup folder

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wORthy_11

It contains all drivers and software for your computer and this will save a lot of times for you to download all applications and drivers specially when you have to do a Facroty restore/settings.

It is up to you. For me, duringr the last 20 years or so, I've never used it (or similar for not HP machines) and ignore it. If you wish to get few more space, you may delete it.

Note: my case may not applicable for yours.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@wORthy_11

It contains all drivers and software for your computer and this will save a lot of times for you to download all applications and drivers specially when you have to do a Facroty restore/settings.

It is up to you. For me, duringr the last 20 years or so, I've never used it (or similar for not HP machines) and ignore it. If you wish to get few more space, you may delete it.

Note: my case may not applicable for yours.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Most of the folders are SP***** . . . SP and then 5 numbers

I understand that the "SP"s are the downloads . . . can those be deleted with no concern, or do the programs use them?

There are other folders in there:

APP
DRV
HP_VGA_Adjustment_Pattern_2.90
HPDA_320_setup
HPPA
Intel
Metro
Monitors

Maybe those contain settings?  No idea.

I'm just thinking about this, because when you update your graphics card driver, the previous one just remains there, somewhere . . . It would be good if you could delete what's not being used.

But better would be to have some window that tells you what's in there . . . and maybe you want to keep the software for one install back, but not another . . . that would be an improvement.

The whole folder is taking up 4GB on my C: . . . if I deleted it, then it would go faster when I did a Clonezilla.

HP Recommended

I have just come across this folder as I'm trying to get my PC back to normal after a Windows Update screwed up my PC. What do I do with the files in it, do I re-install any after my PC problem - which I'm in the middle of?  I used HP Recovery Manager and I thought it was saving my emails but I have not come across them - could there be anything in the swsetup folder that will help with this. I don't like deleting folders if I can help it.

HP Recommended

. . . What do I do with the files in it, do I re-install any after my PC problem - which I'm in the middle of?

If you know what you're doing, these files can save you some time - but since you don't:

a.) the first thing I would do is to try to get the update to work, because the OS will just want to install that update again later - google the error message, or problem you're having, and look for the fix

b.) if it's not an easy fix, and you really need to go back to what you had for productivity reasons:

Win 10 / Control Panel / System / System protection / System Restore . . . and go back to a Restore point

. . . I used HP Recovery Manager and I thought it was saving my emails but I have not come across them

Using an e-mail program like Thunderbird? Depending on how you have it set up, it either leaves them online, or stores them in your User account folder

. . . could there be anything in the swsetup folder that will help with this.

There could be, if you know what you're doing, but since you don't, I would forget about using anything in there. Reason: You might be spending time installing something that already updated itself a couple of times - all those downloads will be in there.

. . . I don't like deleting folders if I can help it

Yes, in my experience, deleting, or "cleaning" programs that have to do with the OS can make DISM or SFC give you funky results - like, you run it two or three times in a row, and each time it says it fixed something, whereas before, it would say "no problems found". This is why I'm currently leaving all the programs in the SWSETUP folder . . . I don't run CCleaner Registry Cleaner . . . or MS Disk Cleanup

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.