Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
SSD P600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

I have posted this question in another board (Android) by mistake and it did not get any attention at all. HP does not have a dedicated board for portable SSD's so I'll take my chances here.

I just bought HP SSD P600 and tried to connect it to my Moto Z2 play via supplied USB type A to USB type C adapter . The phone does recognize P600 as a storage drive but the connection is not stable. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes before disconnecting, sometimes it is only seconds. After disconnecting it automatically tries to make connection and then it starts all over again.

Sometimes I see a message "Corrupted JMICRON USB DRIVE" and I'm offered to format the SSD.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @DPV8 

We no longer support Android on here, but I can hopefully offer a suggestion to consider.

What capacity is your external HDD? 500GB - 1TB?

How is it formatted currently or have you done that yet?

HP Recommended

Hello, @Photoray002

Thank you for your reply! The SSD is 500 Gb, factory formatted as exFAT. I did try to format it as portable storage when connected to my phone (Android OS option offered), but it fails with the following message: "command '43 volume partition disk: 8,0 public ' failed with '400 43 Command failed'". 

This message appears when you tap "Corrupted JMICRON USB DRIVE" in android notification panel.

HP Recommended

Well, Im not sure whats wrong then. Exfat should be just fine.

If you have a Windows PC, you could try reformatting it to FAT32 for a large drive in Windows CMD from the link below...

Scroll down to Format Large USB Drives with FAT32 by Using PowerShell

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Does the drive work ok on a PC? If so, then I would have no idea why your Android phone is not accepting it.

Sorry.

HP Recommended

The SSD works on my PC, so far so good. But there is a little problem here as well. The SSD performance is somehow significally lower that specified by HP.

These are the numbers I got

SSD-test

Tested with
System : Windows.Desktop X64 10.0.17763.529
DeviceName : Surface Book Microsoft Corporation

Its even less than 500 MB/s!

Here is a test results where it works as it should be

https://www.legitreviews.com/hp-portable-ssd-p600-review_206578/2

HP Recommended

Oh you did say SSD and the specs I pulled up from HPs data base showed it had a conventional HDD.

But just the same, every computer you test that drive on from will give you a different result in Crystal Disk Mark.

Several factors contribute to the speed test. So its really hard to say if its faulty judging by that bench mark.

Im guessing your drive is probably showing up as something like 465GB  instead of 500GB, correct?

If so, that is a common question with any drive. MFG's recognize a GB as 1000MB's. But the PC see's a GB as 1024MB's. So a Gigabyte ends up being seen by the PC as .931GB. Plus the fact that formatting also takes up some overhead, so you get a drive that shows less that was stated by the label.

HP Recommended

So you think these performance numbers are OK and the SSD works properly?

I might as well also ask on another forum just to make sure. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.