Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP support and HP Community,

I received my brand new HP Reverb G2 2 days ago. I plug in following the instruction and nothing happends in Windows Mixed Reality application and HP Reverb G2 VR Headset Setup, headset not detected, then I try several options :

- All welcome compatibility checks of Windows Mixed Reality are green (see screenshot below) - nothing detected

- Update my motherboard BIOS - nothing detected

- Make sure that the cable is properly connected in the headset - nothing detected

- Make sure my Windows 10 is up to date (Windows 10, version 20H2) via windows update - nothing detected

- Make sure NVIDIA graphical drivers are up to date - nothing detected

- Try to detect new screen within NVIDIA configuration panel via "my screen not listed..." and "advanced detection screen" button  - nothing detected

- Check all my USB drivers are up to date (all are up to date 3x AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) and VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)) - nothing detected

- Install all my USB drivers from the motherboard constructor - nothing detected

- Change my motherboard PCI Gen4 to PCI gen 3 - nothing detected

- Disable my triple screen NVIDIA Surround - nothing detected

- Try other USB 3.2 type A and type C of my motherboard... - nothing detected

- Try other display port connectors - nothing detected

- HP detector tool - nothing detected

- Use an external recommanded (MRTV) USB 3.1 powered hub (plug in the USB-C 3.2 connector of my motherboard) - nothing detected

- Try on an external USB 3.0 powerd hub (plug in the USB-A 3.1 of my motherboard) - nothing detected

- Try HP Reverb G2 VR Headset Setup - nothing detected

- Having follow https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06433655 - nothing detected

- Perform several restart of the PC with the headset powered up and USB plug in on powered USB 3.1 hub (connected on USB-C red 3.2 USB) - nothing detected

- Find PCIE USB 3.0 card to plug in on my PC. Plug in HP Reverb G2 on it, several restart with the headset plug in and powered up - nothing detected.

- Only keep HDMI screen and remove DVI-D and Display port screen, change display port of the HP Reverb G2 - nothing detected

By the way during all those tests above :

- Small HP Reverb G2 connector box have white light on

- HP Reverb G2 headset warm near the connector contact (confirm it is well powered up). After more investigation, I check the headset connector after 1 hour of test an retry. The connector itself become really hot in fact, not sure it is the headset itself which warm really.

- No error code raised or available at any steps above

Next options : 

- Buy an PCIE extended USB 3.0 card ? any reference which working well with HP Reverb G2 ?

- Any other official workaround and support from HP Support here ?

- Send it back for a new one ? for a refund ?

Let me knows 😉

Here my config references (brand new config - everything works fine on it - no issues) :

- High End MSI MEG Unify X570 motherboard (only USB3.2 and USB3.1 VR ready)

- Ryzen 9 X3950

- 32 Go RAM DDR 4

- INNO3D iChill 1080Ti 11Go (spec sheet here) graphical card with triple screen (1 display port, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI-D) 2 display ports free (Nvidia surround active or not) with version 1.4 display port 

- Many other stuffs

Side topics :

- Cannot join the HP support by call from the website

- HP store world wide know issue on the HP store, some HP Reverb G2 orders no longer visible (confrimed by HP commercial by call 2 weeks ago). So I cannot use it either for enable a call to the HP support (even I've got PDF confirmation and all reference of the order store on my PC)

- HP Support Chat bot didn't propose HP reverb G2 to discuss on

- External hard drive works well on 3.1 USB hub, motherboard USB, and all other peripherals I've works fine on any of my USB ports.

Need help please, I wait 5 months to get my HP Reverb G2 I really like to use it 😉

Mixed Reality Checks and messages below :

VR ready checks doneVR ready checks done

https://i.imgur.com/md3QORi.png 

VR headset not detectedVR headset not detected

https://i.imgur.com/16SsAne.png 

23/03/2021 EDIT  : The headset have been replaced after one and an half month delay (6 weeks instead of the 3 initial plan weeks). I will close the ticket here and open a new ticket because the new headset is recognize but get an error 4-1. I redo almost all the checks above here except to plug in the new headset on my rear motherboard VR ready USB-C (I think the HP headset did not handle correctly my 3.2 usb-c energy and get fuse with). I have open a new last HP support case.

TOPIC CLOSE, HEADSET REPLACED  BY A NEW ONE. -> ERROR 4-1

The new topic for error 4-1 is here

Regards.

Eternity.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Owned mine since day one release, been a nightmare

My set up is MSI B550 Mortar, Ryzen 5600x RTX 3080, only way I can get mine to work 90% of the time is when the PC is off to have it connected to USB 3.1 gen1 (generally Blue NOT Red gen2), via an external powered USB hub, the video cable connected, the power to G2 plugged in & lit up (on the break out box) power on the PC it auto runs WMR portal immediately when booted & it works!!

Internal PCIe card made no difference to me.

If i start my PC as normal then connect the G2 & power up etc I get 'RTK Boot' unknown device in device manager - this is the sound connection in the G2 not being recognised & windows sound device shows 'USB 2 headphones' the headset constantly says 'put on your headset' or various fault codes 14, 15 etc etc.... I can get it to eventually work by randomly disconnecting & reconnecting the USB & power box any where from 5 to 15 times - makes no sense & no idea which combination makes it work.  I think its a load of crap HP blaming peoples issues on not having the cable seated fully in the headset, all your doing is breaking the connection at the other end & reconnecting.

No one should have to jump through hoops just to make it work as expected.

I cant see how to raise a ticket as the G2 doesn't appear on the drop down box.

WHERE IS THE RESPONSE FROM HP ON THIS.

HP Recommended

Hi Stevenred5,

Many many thanks for your feedback and walkthrought !

First point, my motherboard did have blue USB only red ones :

g7pra13zaq1

https://uno.md/storage/images/Product/189924/original/g7pra13zaq1.jpg

(why the picture appears in preview but not in the real post ?)

I use then a powered usb 3.1 hub (MRTV youtube channel recommended for HP Reverb G2 issues) but it is connected on a red USB-C as I do not have any blue 3.1 USB.

As you recommend, I did manage to plug in my HP reverb G2 (USB, power up, white light on) and then restart my PC twice. Each time after log in on Windows 10, I've got a blincking sound like if there is a new peripheral connected... but Windows Mixed Relatity did not recognize any VR headset unfortunetly. I will retry several time because may be on my side it will work only 10% of the time.

Connection to the headset is well plug in so far I can say, there is no more space left between the cable and the headset... and the headset warm so it receive power 😉

By the way where did you get your error code ? and where in device manager the headset should appears ?

HP Recommended

Error codes appear in WMR front screen, but they are quite generic.  Mine absolutely will not work from a USB 3 gen 2 (10gbps), Red on my M/B, some or little success from the type C gen 2 on m/b but gave up on that.  Check on the M/B site if you have any USB 3.1 gen 1, they may be internal on the board requiring front panel connections.

Your issues are more serious than mine.

HP Recommended

Any HP official support to reply and help ?

HP Recommended

Hi HP support team,

Any help will be appreciated to solve the HP Reverb G2 issue to work properly on my brand new PC VR ready config 😉

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Eternity

HP Recommended

Please find here the photo of the cable plug in the headset to check if it is properly plugged in.

IMG_7148_1 - Copie.JPG

HP Recommended

It’s natively supported by SteamVR, so almost everything on Steam should work assuming they’ve been following best practices (which, to be fair, not everyone does.)

As far as Oculus goes, officially the answer is no. Anything you buy on the Oculus store will only work for Oculus HMDs. There is a 3rd party tool called Revive which basically tricks the software into recognizing other headsets as Oculus ones, however it should be noted that this basically only works because Oculus/Facebook has decided it’s not currently in their interests to stop it. It also won’t let you get around their new requirement of linking your purchases and activity to a valid Facebook account.

HP Recommended

I can't believe there won't eventually be a class action lawsuit about these headsets. I've been using mine flawlessly for two weeks and suddenly my audio is dropping out whenever I move the headphones. 

Best part is, the support website doesn't recognize the serial number printed on my headset, so there is literally no possible way for me to receive any support at all!

HP Recommended

I had the same confusion with support and the product number. I was using the product number on the cable - it turns out there's a secret hidden product number, so ignore that one. Take out the faceplate and shine a light inside near the lenses. You'll find the G2's serial number in there. What you may have been looking at is the serial number for the CABLE.

Then you can access support. I still couldn't figure out how to request a replacement clip. Quite Byzantine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.