Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP support and HP Community,

I received a replacement HP Reverb G2 from the previous one which was never detected - see topic here

The new replacement headset is now detected but give an 4-1 error even my configuration I VR ready. It seems that the headset is not able to use properly either the display port either the USB connection.

I had check all those points below that I gather from several VR sources on the HP headset issues but I didn't succed t o solve the point, please have a look :

- All welcome compatibility checks of Windows Mixed Reality are green (see screenshot below)

- Update my motherboard BIOS 2021-01-25 7C35VA8 with "Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0" and "Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C")... I see new upcomming beta bios with ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.1  - waiting on stable version

- Make sure that the cable is properly connected in the headset (check with HP support and send a picture with the tiny hole just less than an half milimeter from the headset)

- Make sure my Windows 10 is up to date (Windows 10, version 20H2 and HP Reverb G2 cumulative patch as of today 25/03/2021) via windows update

- Make sure NVIDIA graphical drivers are up to date

- Try to detect new screen within NVIDIA configuration panel via "my screen not listed..." and "advanced detection screen" button  - nothing detected

- Check all my USB drivers are up to date (all are up to date 3x AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) and VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft))

- Install all my USB drivers from the motherboard constructor

- Change my motherboard PCI Gen4 to PCI gen 3

- Disable my triple screen NVIDIA Surround

- Try other USB 3.2 type A and type C of my motherboard... I didn't redo a test on VR ready USB-C 3.2 in the rear motherboard because I think the headset didn't handle properly power of an 3.2 USB and get fuse with it.

- Try other display port connectors

- Use an external recommanded (MRTV) USB 3.1 powered hub (plug in the USB-C 3.2 connector of my motherboard)

- Try on an external USB 3.0 powerd hub (plug in the USB-A 3.1 of my motherboard)

- Try HP Reverb G2 VR Headset Setup

- Having follow https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06433655

- Perform several restart of the PC with the headset powered up and USB plug in on powered USB 3.1 hub (connected on USB-C red 3.2 USB)

- Find PCIE USB 3.0 card to plug in on my PC. Plug in HP Reverb G2 on it, several restart with the headset plug in and powered up

- Only keep HDMI screen and remove DVI-D and Display port screen, change display port of the HP Reverb G2

By the way during all those tests above :

- Small HP Reverb G2 connector box have white light on

Next options : 

- Change HP USB  cable : new HP shipping for June (2 to 3 month delay for a simple cable instead of the 2 open days given by initial contact)

- Get AMD/HP new motherboard or headset firmware/BIOS ? waiting stable version in April

- Any other official workaround and support from HP Support here ?

- Get refunds ?

Let me knows

Here my config references (brand new config - everything works fine on it - no issues) :

- High End MSI MEG Unify X570 motherboard (only USB3.2 and USB3.1 VR ready)

- Ryzen 9 X3950

- 32 Go RAM DDR 4

- INNO3D iChill 1080Ti 11Go (spec sheet here) graphical card with triple screen (1 display port, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI-D) 2 display ports free (Nvidia surround active or not) with version 1.4 display port 

- Many other stuffs

Side topics :

- HP Support Chat bot didn't propose HP reverb G2 to discuss on

- HP support call didn't propose HP Reverb G2 or VR option to pickup for support

- External hard drive, webcam, track IR, ... works perfectly on 3.1 USB hub plug in on my VR ready USB-C 3.2, motherboard USB, and all others peripherals I've works fine on any of my USB ports.

- Yes Oculus Quest 2 I've bought because the reverb g2 fail to be "usable", the Oculus Quest 2 works perfectly too on my USB with oculus link.

Need help please, I wait 7 months to get my HP Reverb G2 I really like to use it

Mixed Reality Checks and messages below :

VR ready checks done

https://i.imgur.com/md3QORi.png 

[16/04/2021 EDIT]

I decide to return the headset and get refund.

In conclusion, this story was a big disapointment for me, so many hours to try to fix it, read forum and HP support guidelines and to test, so many delays to get pieces, so many hours to ping pong from an HP service to another who didn't share their data and intel... (worth client experience ever for me) so many frustrations for nothing. The HP reverb G2 was probably delivered too early with an hardware not fully bullet proof like the competitor (oculus quest)... too bad for such a Brand like HP while it was so promising on paper.

Topic closed.

Regards.

Eternity.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Eternity - I had nearly an identical experience. Reverb G2 not detected despite almost all the same maneuvers. (I did not change PCI 4.0 to 3.0, but did everything else). My platform is a new Dell G5 gaming desktop: i9 10900 w/ RTX 3080.  After 1.5 hrs of phone tree delays and 7 transfers I did get to HP support who determined that the headset was "dead" and promptly received a replacement; however the result was the same - not detected.   Second round with HP support said this must be a problem with the computer - talk to DELL or we will be happy to give you a refund... The fact that you and I have had identical experiences with completely different platforms strongly suggests that it is the headset(s).   Clearly some people have gotten these headsets to work in the past.  I wonder if there is a manufacturing QC issue and we both have received multiple headsets from the same problematic lot of headsets... 

Like you I would really like to have a functioning Reverb G2 as I understand, when they work, the experience is superb... 

HP Recommended

re-posting a reply to your initial need help msg

Eternity - After reading more posts concerning issues with the cable to the headset I decided to go back to the beginning and examine the cable once more.  When I first insert the plug into the headset there is mild to moderate resistance as the majority of the plug enters the receptacle.  After that, with firm pressure the plug moved   ~3mm and then stopped as if reaching a detent.  At that point no amount of pressure moved it any further.  I was convinced the plug was fully seated.  However, I decided to "'wiggle" the base of the plug up and down and then confirm that it was properly seated, but this time the plug moved a tiny bit more (<1mm) and the connection was made... Everything works as billed.  No swapping usb ports, usb adapters, externally powered usb hubs needed.  I just works with the usb c port as billed.  I'm not sure if this is related to your issues but I recommend checking one more time to make sure the cable truly fully seated.   

HP Recommended

HP support call me back and decide to change the usb connector cable but als orecommend to wait on next BIOS april updates that should comes with patchs for the issue as they say.

Planned to be delivered beginning of this week (30/03/2021), delivery HP manager call me back to say it is out of stock without having new delays to communicqte for the new shipping qnd delivery... (same story than for the headset which was plan for 3 weeks and take finely 6 to be delivered)

I'm waiting and play with my fully functionnal Oculus Quest 2 VR headset plug on my usb port.

HP Recommended

Here it is,

HP team call me back to inform the new availability date for the replacement usb cable is for June ! in 2-3 months !!!

I ask to open a case while I order the headset somewhere in novmber (even a first order in september but cancelled) I received the headset in last february after several month of delay and now the last shipment of replacement will come in June (if no other delays). All in all, 8 months to have potential VR headset working. I say potential while I could even face/suffer another defect until june.

HP teams what's going on ? Have a look on competition with the Oculus quest 2 success story which is :

- in stock even the huge demand,

- delivered by any sell platform in less than 2 days,

- working perfectly at the first second with a perfect user VR onboarding path and tool,

- working with any USB...

I have no word to express my feelings.

HP Recommended

Good luck. I had the same issue. Ryzen 3900XT, Asus X570-P mobo. 

Supports only response to me after I ran down what I had done was "We can't fix it, here's the number for a refund you've got 5 days left in the return period."

Then, returns is telling me well I can't get a full refund because I'm past the return window. Whoa whoa whoa whao (my exact words on the phone) - I didn't receive this until after the beginning of March, and it's still March. I'm in the return window. "Oh yes sir, I see it was delivered after the beginning of the month you are due the full refund"

Today I got an RMA notice. Of course, they want a 15% restock fee. For something that is not my fault, and that I had no knowledge of when I purchased the item. 

I opened a ticket with Paypal for a full refund. Let them deal with HP. I'm not giving HP $100 free dollars.

My Rift CV-1 still works great. I'll wait for another HMD, never buying items from HP again, unless it's a retailer like MicroCenter that takes them back no questions asked. But even then I probably won't, just because of the sour taste they have left me.

HP Recommended

Finally, I decide to withdraw all this waste of time and not waiting until June for a new cable...

HP propose to refund the order so I return the headset.

In conclusion, this story was a big disapointment for me, so many hours to try to fix it, read forum and HP support guidelines and to test, so many delays to get pieces, so many hours to ping pong from an HP service to another who didn't share their data and intel... (worth client experience ever for me) so many frustrations for nothing. The HP reverb G2 was probably delivered too early with an hardware not fully bullet proof like the competitor (oculus quest)... too bad for such a Brand like HP while it was so promising on paper.

Topic closed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.