Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-009no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I want to buy a new Graphics card, because i already have a gtx 1050, and as you may can imagine. That doesent really hold up to the gaming these days. So ive looked at the RTX 2060 cause its good for budget. And ive wondered. Will the odense 2k handle the RTX? I know that the pcu does not and im gonna upgrade that, but ive would like to not spend to much to get the rtx. Does anybody know this? Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @maltetc12345 

I would not recommend upgrading to that card with that Intel Core i5-7400. Problem is that little 4 core 4 thread cpu will cause a bottle neck depending on how you use it. 

But to answer your question directly: Yes it will work on your motherboard, but you might have to get the mini version to fit it in that case.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @maltetc12345 

I would not recommend upgrading to that card with that Intel Core i5-7400. Problem is that little 4 core 4 thread cpu will cause a bottle neck depending on how you use it. 

But to answer your question directly: Yes it will work on your motherboard, but you might have to get the mini version to fit it in that case.

HP Recommended

Hello @ thanks for the reply. I can see what you mean and what, but the thing is. If i would upgrade the cpu i would buy the I5 9600k, but since that has a tdp of 95w and my motherboard can manage 91w that is the biggest problem. But how bad would u say the bottleneck would be

HP Recommended

Hard to say exactly, but the charts on the net show up to 50% depending.

Your motherboard wont up grad to an 8-9th gen cpu. You can only upgrade to a maximum of an i7 7700K which would require a new cooler also. 6th-7th gens will only upgrade to 6th-7th gens. 8th-9th will only upgrade to 8th-9th. This is for any motherboard.

HP Recommended

Okay. I mean I will probably do it ether way since I am probably gonna uprade the cpu around Christmas. So now I know if I  will do so I have to also uprade the motherboard and probably gonna upgrade the chassis. Thanks man you have been a masive help👍

HP Recommended

Upgrading the motherboard and chassis means building a whole new system basically.

Glad to see you are willing to take the next step in the world of computers. I think you will be very happy with the results.

Good luck and glad I was able to help.  😊

HP Recommended

I will add, if you're thinking of getting the 2070 mini for now, but you think you might want to build your own system later this year, I would just wait. Then you can get a more full sized graphics card with better cooling that wont be down-clocked or such.

Tests from various users on the web have shown some mini cards don't perform quite as well as the full size cards for various reasons. You get what you pay for basically.

Also some time later this year, "supposedly August", the next gen of Nvidia cards will be released. Intel will be releasing the new 10th gen CPU's this year also.

You might want to wait to see what they offer. 

Just a heads up, its up to you. Good luck.

HP Recommended

That might be a better idea but also since the mini ive looked at just sold out i geuss i might go with the bigger version. If it fits but i will se when the time comes.👍

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.