Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-314
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a nvidia gtx 1050 graphic card for my computer, installed it and the card is working since the fan on it is spinning but my monitor is just blank. I've tried a bunch of methods to get it to work that I've learned off of other people that have had this problem, but nothing has worked. I do not have a dvid cord for it though so I was wondering if I need a dvid cord to plug into the graphic card to the monitor for it to work?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Seth311

I was going to ask how is was connected to the monitor. Yes, you need to connect to it directly from the card to the monitor, not the connection above from the IO shield not matter if its DVI-D or HDMI.

Give that a try and see how it does.

HP Recommended

There is a long male connector on the graphic card and long female connector on the mother board I think it was that must just supply the graphic card with power. Should I use the dvid connector on the graphic card to the dvid connector on the monitor or just get a adapter to use the VGA connector from the monitor to the dvid to the graphic card?

HP Recommended

The 1050 graphics card gets it power from the PCIe slot its connected to, not the cable.

If your monitor requires DVI-D, then get a cable for that.

NOTE: You cannot adapt VGA to DVI-D, but you can adapt VGA to DVI-I.

DVD-I has the slot on the end with 4 pins around it. DVD-D only has the little slot on the end with no pins.

dvid.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.