Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
5DQ99AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I've set up my new HP Quantum Dot Display and installed the driver from HP site. Eeverything works fine, except HDR in Windows 10. When i turn HDR on in Windows display settings, it works in games and videos. But from time to time the brightness setting on my monitor (set to 50 from OSD menu) suddenly jumps to 90. Then it can drop to 50 after some time. But then it increases again. This cycle repeats constantly.

If i turn the HDR on, brightness stays at 50 and doesn't change. So it's either monitor's or Windows' problem with HDR. Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,

Anton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When HDR is used, normally the screen gets a little dim, but if its affecting your usage and none of what I suggested so far has helped, I suggest you contact the support team and discuss your options of repairing or replacing the monitor, as it could be a hardware malfunction.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@IS_live

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  System  Display .
  2. If you have multiple displays connected to your PC, choose the HDR-capable display under Select and rearrange displays.
  3. Select Windows HD Color settings.
  4. Under Display capabilities, check to make sure it says Yes next to Play HDR games and apps.
  5. Turn on Play HDR games and apps.

The Play HDR Games and Apps setting

If the issue persists, please perform the remaining steps from this document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Betty

Looks like i don't have the exact settings you have - probably due to other Win10 build

Instead of win HD settings i have HDR and WCG settings

But these do not have any flags for HDR in-game usage

So instead of say this

i have only this

Regards,

Anton

HP Recommended

@IS_live I suggest you turn off adaptive brightness to resolve this issue, as it seems to be changing the brightness on its own:

Step 1 - Open Power Options

Click on the Start button, then search for "Power Options" and launch the corresponding Control panel section.

Step 2 - Edit Plan Settings

Simply click on "Change plan settings" on whichever power plan you're on or want to change.

Now click on "Change advanced power settings" to launch the Power Options Advanced Settings.

Step 3 - Adjust Adaptive Brightness

Scroll down until you get to the "Display" section and click on the plus sign to show the sub-menus. Now click on the plus sign next to "Enable adaptive brightness" to expose its settings.

Change the settings as you desire, then hit OK to save and exit.

If the issue persists, please turn off the night mode as well, use the below steps:

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Click the gear icon to bring up the Settings Menu.

3. Choose System

4. Select Display.

5. Toggle the Night light switch to Off 

6. If you wish to adjust the settings instead:

• Click Night light settings to adjust the level of blue displayed,
  • or determine the time for Night Light to activate automatically. 

For more details on using HDR: Click here

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty,

I checked both adaptive brightness and night mode as you suggested and they were off

So my problem is not related to them

Anton

HP Recommended

@IS_live Alright, In that case, I suggest you connect an alternate monitor to the device and check if the issue persists, if it works fine on the other monitor, this could be a hardware malfunction, reset the monitor to factory defaults and if that doesn't work either, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Let me look into this. Will get back you on this in 24 hours.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There are no logs as such for monitors.

Let's turn off the power saving mode:

Open the OSD menu and select Power, select Auto-Sleep Mode, and then set auto-sleep to off.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Turned Auto-Sleep Mode off, but my problem persists

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.