2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Reverb Consistently Crashes after 20 minutes of use

HP Recommended
HP Reverb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Reverb B/D 20/05/19 worked great in the beginning.

Until recently. I can only play for about 20 minutes or so and then consistently the following cycle repeats:

I will lose positional tracking for about 15 seconds. I can still turn my head but that is it. After that, the headset will go black and restart. Once this occurs (again, about 20 minutes into the first use of the day), it will only work for about 2 or 3 minutes before doing the same thing. Lose head tracking for 15 seconds, go black, reboot.

It almost like it gets too hot and i have to wait for it to cool down before using it again... but honestly I have no idea. Anyway, I can consistently reproduce these issues and figured that a graphics driver caused the problem and over time it would be fixed.

I updated all graphics drivers and windows updates and that did not fix the issue. I even reinstalled Windows and that did not fix the issue either. My computer specs:

RTX 2080TI

Intel I9-9900k

48GB of RAM

Also while I am working I will hear the headset connect and disconnect randomly. Like I am plugging in and removing the USB cable. I checked the adapter where the cable meets the HMD and that appears to be very snug.

I tried to go online and contact support but couldn't find my serial number or it wouldn't recognize it 😞

Any help greatly appreciated... I sold my other Vr headset and this isn't usable in its current state.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jayzee2
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would first check your USB settings in device manager and make sure that windows isn't turning them off to save power, always make sure it is set to 'never'. I would also try every USB port that you have to make sure it isn't a duff port. I too am having serious problems with tracking loss in the headset so I've ordered a powered USB socket to see if that fixed the issue, if not then its off to support to return it. BTW the serial number is on the inside of the headset and it will say that it doesn't recognise it so wait for the next section where it asks for the model number and then it will register your device and tell you how much warranty is left.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
Jayzee2
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would first check your USB settings in device manager and make sure that windows isn't turning them off to save power, always make sure it is set to 'never'. I would also try every USB port that you have to make sure it isn't a duff port. I too am having serious problems with tracking loss in the headset so I've ordered a powered USB socket to see if that fixed the issue, if not then its off to support to return it. BTW the serial number is on the inside of the headset and it will say that it doesn't recognise it so wait for the next section where it asks for the model number and then it will register your device and tell you how much warranty is left.

View solution in original post

Hillbro
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jayzee2, the USB port was the issue. I was using an internal USB 3.0 card that I plugged into my motherboard, and apparently it doesn't work for the HP Reverb.

This is the USB card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had used this card with the Oculus Rift CV1 because I had 4 Sensors and it worked fine. I thought it would be a good idea to plug ONLY the HP Reverb USB into the 3.0 connection port on this card, and apparently that is what was causing the issues.

I played for about 2 or 3 hours last night without a single crash after changing the port to a motherboard / onboard USB 3.0 port.

Thank you!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation