Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

-Initially when setting up the G2 I was able to hear intermittent sound from the headset. When I checked Device manager I could see in "Audio inputs and outputs" 2 audio drivers auto installing. Within seconds they were marked as non-functioning, then disappeared as they were auto uninstalled. This repeated continuously until I unplugged the headset from the USB socket on the PC. Video worked fine although I couldn't get the 360 videos to play in the headset, just on my monitor.

-[NOTE: I was getting the usual 7-14 and 7-15 errors when trying to use a blue USB 3.0 motherboard socket. My Innatek USB 3 card was indicated as unsuitable or unrecognised by the Mixed Reality Portal software (I installed it for Oculus Rift use and it doesn't have new drivers).

-I then followed the advice to update all my drivers, including nVidia's GPU driver. I have an AMD chipset on my motherboard;

-My system is:

MSI B550 Gaming Plus (with Realtek sound chip)

AMD Ryzen 5600X

32 GB RAM

Palit GeForce GTX 1080

Innatek Fresco Logic USB3 5 port PCI-E 1.0 card

-So the drivers I updated to are:

Driver                                                                     version                            Release date

BIOS (E7C56AMS.183)                                      7C56v183                      27/9/2021
AMD chipset                                                        2.15.7.2229                  16/6/2021
Realtek HD Audio                                               6.0.9210.1                     2/9/2021
Realtek Digital Output                                      10.0.19041.1                 6/12/2019
Realtek PCI-E LAN                                             10.46.1231.2020         20/1/2021
NVIdia High Definition Audio                          1.3.38.60                         3/5/2021
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (WDM)              4.13.0.0                            14/3/2019
AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible host controller  10.0.19041.1081           7/6/2021
Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Controller FL1000 Series
Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Hub
Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Root Hub              3.8.35514.0                    19/3/2019
Generic USB Hub                                                10.0.19041.1202          25/8/2021
USB Composite Device                                     10.0.19041.488             21/6/2021
USB Root Hub                                                     10.0.19041.1202          25/8/2021

NVIDIA Graphics                                                 471.96
(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080)                            30.0.14.7196                  27/8/2021

I also found and installed 2 Windows updates:

2021-09 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5005539),

2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5005565).

-After updating I tried re-connecting the G2. No sound at all now through the headset (Vision works fine). Device manager no longer shows drivers even trying to install. Under the "Audio input and Output" section I can see;

Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio) [NOTE: I changed the name from Speakers to Headphones when I plugged them in].

Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio) [this is the optical output]

U2879G6 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

-None of these are the expected drivers labelled "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" that appear to be for the G2.

-I tried the USB Audio Firmware update tool downloaded from HP Support; SP113237 (2021-04-01) but it gave me the "Cannot detect an HP Reverb G2 Headset" error message - even though the G2 was running in Mixed Reality at the time.

-I called HP Support and they sent me the Version 2 6m cable (bigger box with power switch). No USB errors but still no sound through the headset. This is the point I attached headphones to the PC socket directly to confirm audio output.

-Because I'd at least had some sign of the audio drivers previously, I tried to disable and/or uninstall the sound drivers (nothing stored to roll-back to) and also tried disabling the Realtek motherboard sound in BIOS. No difference to G2.

-I tried the more extreme roll-back of using System Restore. This didn't get the audio back, even intermittently. It did prompt Windows to say a hardware change had been detected and so Windows could no longer be Activated - please buy a valid copy. I was able to recover this by using the advanced recovery reboot option and do another System Restore. Phew.

-I then called HP support again and was asked to run the USB Audio Firmware update tool, which I did, with the same "cannot detect G2" message. The helpline advised me that it won't work unless all my drivers are updated, including chipset etc. and that the firmware will then fix all the issues people have been experiencing. (As I understand it the Firmware is dated April 1st 2021, but many people have reported issues since then). It was also pointed out, reasonably, that the tech help cannot work on my PC as it isn't an HP product. This means in practice that if I can't get the audio figured out myself then I can't use the G2 on my PC, unless I use an additional headphone/mic setup on top of it. I don't know how practical that is.

-I'm obviously frustrated, having tried many things to get the headset to work, and I'm posting this just as a history for others to see, in case it helps anyone. I don't know why I can't just download the appropriate audio drivers for the headset - I'm going to look at Realtek next - as the "Drivers" button on the HP Support page is empty, and the "Firmware" button just leads to the tool that is unable to detect the Headset. I'll post again if I make any progress - if not, maybe the G2s just not for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To finish this post for anyone who came here with the same problem, the issue has been been resolved by a replacement headset - it was faulty hardware after all.

My 3rd call to my local HP Support resulted in them sending me the headset only. Once the warranty was checked the package arrived quickly. I had to unscrew the headphone speakers and move the cable across, but it worked like it 's supposed to. Device manager now shows the two "Realtek USB(2.0) Audio" devices for speakers and microphone and I can hear sounds in the Mixed Reality cliff house. I've been able to set up SteamVR and load into DCS (Flight sim) although it took a long time to load (about 10 minutes - probably had to recompile the shaders for the new resolution). Returning the non-functioning headset is easy too, with a prepaid label included and the courier is going to collect from my home, so that's also a lot better than my experience sending parts bought on ebay back. All in all I'm very happy with the Support from HP - I wish I hadn't received a defective item to begin with but the telephone support and the community encouraged me to think we were all trying to make progress towards solving the problem.

It works!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi@ Cutter,

Install and update the latest BIOS & video card drivers, once done, use the below steps: 

1. Open the controller's battery cover. 

2. Press and hold the pairing button. It is located below the batteries. 

3. Press and hold the Windows button for five seconds. 

4. Release both buttons simultaneously. The process of resetting should take about 15 seconds. 

5. Pair your motion controllers with your PC. 

Once done, try the below steps: 

1. Open the Mixed Reality Portal app on your PC. 

2. In the side menu click on see more. 

3. Select set up controllers. 

4. In the settings screen you now see, click add Bluetooth or other device. 

5. Open the battery door on your controllers. 

6. Press the small button below the batteries for 2 seconds until the lights flash. 

7. When the controllers appear in the list, click connect. 

Now, put on your headset and make sure that they're working and tracking OK. If you don't see them as in the image above, hold down the Windows button for two seconds until it vibrates to turn them off. 

Then repeat the process to turn them back on again and this should make them both appear in front of you. 

Once the controllers have paired over Bluetooth the lights on the ring will stop flashing and instead stay bright and steady. 

Reverb G2 to support the notebook needs to be checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

As someone else has posted on another message, I don't understand how this could be a controller issue, that you have posted a fix for. My controllers are working fine, as is the video - apart from sometimes the commonly reported jittery image. It's an audio issue; I don't have sound from the headset.

-I have looked at the Realtek website and can't find the "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" drivers that might solve my problem - they seem to be the names of the drivers that show in Device Manager for people with working audio.

-I found a 250-ish-MB piece of software on Guru3D called Realtek HD Audio manager that is reported to supply drivers, but it hasn't worked for me. I don't know if Windows won't let it install but I have read that Windows replaces drivers "from the wild" with signed ones from Microsoft, even if they are several years old. From my list of updated drivers above you can see that some are dated 2019 - They're the most recent I can find.

-After trying to install Realtek HD Audio manager several times, I'm regularly getting a "Bitdefender anti-virus is out of date" message, and the "Ransomware" protection it offers is now switched off. This is a bit worrying. I switch it back on and, next time I reboot, same message and protection switched off.

-I wonder if a full re-install of Windows might be worth trying? It's obviously a big deal but maybe that's my only chance of getting the G2 to work with sound - because the picture does look good.

HP Recommended

Cutter,

Try this Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver link 

Still issue persist,

Reverb G2 to support the notebook needs to be checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

HP Recommended

Thank you @Praveenbv for the alternative Realtek driver package but it hasn't worked for me.

I have fully reinstalled Windows, updated it and all the drivers, installed the headset and software and everything works/fails as before; good video and controllers, no sound, no new audio devices in device manager - although the Mixed Reality Headset is shown, and the Audio Firmware update Tool cannot detect the headset - although it is running at the time.

I tried the linked drivers again but without success.

I've been posting on Reddit about the issue and someone who reports the same problem has been able to solve it by a replacement headset - it was a hardware issue.

I will **bleep** today to see if they can help.

HP Recommended

To finish this post for anyone who came here with the same problem, the issue has been been resolved by a replacement headset - it was faulty hardware after all.

My 3rd call to my local HP Support resulted in them sending me the headset only. Once the warranty was checked the package arrived quickly. I had to unscrew the headphone speakers and move the cable across, but it worked like it 's supposed to. Device manager now shows the two "Realtek USB(2.0) Audio" devices for speakers and microphone and I can hear sounds in the Mixed Reality cliff house. I've been able to set up SteamVR and load into DCS (Flight sim) although it took a long time to load (about 10 minutes - probably had to recompile the shaders for the new resolution). Returning the non-functioning headset is easy too, with a prepaid label included and the courier is going to collect from my home, so that's also a lot better than my experience sending parts bought on ebay back. All in all I'm very happy with the Support from HP - I wish I hadn't received a defective item to begin with but the telephone support and the community encouraged me to think we were all trying to make progress towards solving the problem.

It works!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.