cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Omenlaptop
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

I have low frames when my laptop is not plugged in charging

HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15t-dc000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I play games, I always need to plug in my laptop to have high frames. If I don't my frames are low and the game feels laggy. For example on Fortnite, my frames are at 30 when the laptop is not plugged in but once I plug it in, it goes up to 120. Is there a way I can have high frames even when the laptop is not plugged in? I am pretty sure you should not always need a charger to have a good gaming experience.

1 REPLY 1
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 3,941
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Omenlaptop wrote:

When I play games, I always need to plug in my laptop to have high frames. If I don't my frames are low

Hello @Omenlaptop 

Actually yes that is correct. That is how laptops are designed. When on battery only, the system lowers the power to the cpu to save power and heat because gaming is very taxing to the hardware.

What are your specs? You have a CTO model, so I have no way of knowing how you had it configured at purchase.

You can change the NVIDIA power settings to allow the GPU to gain more power while on battery, but it will still not be as ideal as plugged in.

Manage 3D Settings Nvidia.JPG

HP recommends gaming while plugged in and it will not harm the laptop to do so.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hopefully it answers your question.

Let me know if you have others.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation