Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just read that the Reverb G2 headset will need to be plugged into a wall outlet for power. Can someone explain to me why? I had a Rift S briefly (returned it to wait for these) and that headset was powered by a USB port. What on the G2 is requiring so much power? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HadMatter 

Website

HP Reverb G2

Apparently the device draws a lot of power.

Scroll down on the website, open QuickSpecs - HP Reverb G2 Virtual Reality Headset

Near the bottom of the page, in section Overview

Partial Excerpt

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5, i7, Intel® Xeon® E3-1240 v5, equivalent or better. AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or better

Memory: 8 GB RAM or more Video out: DisplayPort™ 1.3 USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 Type C®

Power: USB Type C® with power delivery or included power adapter

Operating system: Windows 10 May 2019 update or later

I would guess that most / some devices to which you would connect the G2 would not be able to provide the necessary power and / or connection type to run this external device.

For example, many notebooks (as a general example) only provide USB-C for data transfer.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Ohhh.... usb OR power adapter. So the power adapter is optional? That's interesting. I've also been learning about how the wall power requirement option was added to accommodate engineering changes that were added to alleviate persistence problems and provide a better image, and that apparently many vr headsets have had problems that can be attributed to not having enough power. So I'm officially on board with the wall power. I am curious to know if a proper usb port will be enough to provide the same performance as wall power, though. 

HP Recommended

@HadMatter 

The crucial thing, as you have discovered, is enough power.

If the USB-C port is not a "charge port", that is, meant to provide actual charge power, then connecting the G2 to the port won't even make a dent in the power requirements. 

I say the solution is to use the power adapter and a decent wall socket.

Check the AC power adapter to see what it draws / supplies.

What I say is not based on personal experience - I don't have the device.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.