Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I switch on the G2's controller, SteamVR immediately crashes. SteamVR reports an unexpected critical error, no more info than that.

It's instant and super consistent. It happens with the left or right controller. It happens whether I launch SteamVR then activate a controller, or switch the controllers on first, then start SteamVR.

The G2 controllers work fine in WMR Portal. 

SteamVR works fine, if the G2 controllers are off. Example: I've been playing Elite: Dangerous via SteamVR without issue (it uses different controllers, flight stick etc). I have another WMR headset, the Samsung Odyssey+, and have never had this issue with it - works fine in both WMR and SteamVR, with and without its controllers.

Today I tried:

-uninstalling 'WMR for SteamVR' from Steam

-uninstalling WMR Portal

-checking & fully updating Windows 10

-reinstalling WMR Portal (including OpenXR component when prompted)

-reinstalling WMR for SteamVR

tested again, no change

-updating motherboard BIOS to latest

-installing latest motherboard chipset drivers

tested again, no change

Have also tried every USB3 port on my PC's rear IO:

-several USB3 gen1 (type A) - all as described above

-one USB3 gen2 (type A) - as described PLUS audio dropping in & out

-one USB3 gen2 (type C) - error 7-14 (and once forced my PC to reset!)

-external USB3 hub - headset not recognised

Any ideas? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

GPU: Nvidia GTX1080Ti

RAM: 16GB 3200

M/board: Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ver1909 (OS build 18363.1237)

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi @VanBurenPhilips<

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

HP Recommended

I don't think anyone in the world has a Reverb G2 out of warranty. It better not be - I've had it 5 days.

Why do you think it's a hardware issue? 

I've already contacted HP support by phone and so far no one has any idea what to do. That's why I'm here. Anyone?

HP Recommended

I have had that exact issue as well. Did you manage to resolve it.? I think I am going to return it.

HP Recommended

Not yet. What's your PC spec, and how do you have the G2 plugged in? Please give as much info as you can, it might help.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Please provide the below details -

First Name:

Last name:

Case Number:

Email address:

Telephone Number:

HP Model number:

HP Product Number:

Product Serial Number:

Description of the issue:

Let me know.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue - whenever I load SteamVR either directly or indirectly it will put me in the environment briefly, then crash out. It then makes a second try to load SteamVR after the first fail with the same results, at which point SteamVR gives up attempting to load. I too have tried a variety of ports to no avail. My other headsets work fine (Index, Rift S, Quest 2, Vive) as does my Samsung Odyssey WMR headset - which makes this even more strange. 

System Info:

CPU: Intel 9900K 

GPU: NVIDIA 2800Ti 

RAM: 64GB DDR4 3200

USB Controllers: Onboard Intel 3.1Gen2 Controller(s), 1 x Pci ASMedia USB 3.1 card

Drives: All m.2 NVMe 

Monitor: Samsung Ody. running at 240Hz

SteamVR: Running the Beta channel

I will continue various scenarios attempting to get it functional - WMA apps work fine, so this is only impacting Steam (which is important). Hopfully @HP gets involved?

HP Recommended

I have a case open with HP, so far no solution and it's slow going, but at least they're responding.

Just to add some (minor) info, I've tried SteamVR beta and non-beta too, both before and after reinstalling software & updating BIOS. Same behaviour on both versions, before and after.

This is the error I see:

steamvr g2 error.jpg

Ugh, forum isn't loading the image >___< 

Try here: https://postimg.cc/4mP8V5wv

@Larkeys you still with us? If you can give us any more info it could help.

HP Recommended

This seems VERY disingenuous that you are considering this a hardware issue with the PC.  My system continues to run my Valve Index fine and did run the Samsung Odyssey plus fine.

MSI Meg Ace x570 mobo

Ryzen 9 3900x

Nvidia RTX-2080 Ti

3 NVME SSD drives

Samsung Odyssey G7 @240 Hz

Using the USB-C VR port and Displayport on the mobo.

Setup and controller pairing/connecting were flawless. Room setup without incident. Cliffhouse loads fine. All WMR software is fine. Loading Steam app is fine. Loading Steam VR causes critical error instantly and consistently.

Sure sounds like a driver conflict to me.

I have had the HP Reverb G2 for less than 3 hours at this point (Dec 10, 2020), after pre-ordering it back it August.

Help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Yeah, looking through some other threads, I see he's just copypasting the exact same text regardless of the issue. Probably not even reading. Everything's a hardware issue and probably out of warranty XD 

He's not remotely interested in helping anyone, just ticking boxes and getting paid.

Anyway. Sounds like you have exactly the same symptoms as me. What do you think about bluetooth drivers? It seems so directly linked to controller activation, and they use bluetooth, right? 

My mobo doesn't have bluetooth, and I don't have any bt card or dongle etc. AFAIK my G2 is the only thing using bt. I can't find any bt settings or devices anywhere on my PC, so I don't know what bt drivers are currently being used. Any ideas on how to find this info, and then how to find appropriate alternate drivers to try?

Just guessing of course 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.