Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb G2 VR-Headset

Hello,

I got a Reverb G2 lately. I'm completly new to the VR-Genre, but i didn't want to have a bad start because of a budget Headset. My Problem is the following:

If you assume that the center of your view (eyes straight) is 0% and the far edges are 100%, than only ~15-20% of my view is sharp. The rest gets more and more blurry the closer I get to the edges. Is this normal, or are the lenses poorly grounded? I played around with the IPD adjustment and the overall fit on the face but I couldn't find a sweet spot.

I also got in contact with Phone-Support but it is really a shame how badly trained the staff seems to be. This was their answer (it is in really bad german, since I am german) after i send them pictures through the lens and a description of the problem:

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage bei unserem Support.

Bezugnehmend auf Ihre Störungsmeldung 5058188170 teilen wir Ihnen mit, dass Schärfe mit  Customized Fit  und Linsen  Sie umstellen können.

Ich schicken einen Link, wo Reißverschluss sich befindet ( 13 sek.)

https://store.hp.com/au-en/default/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset-1n0t5aa.html

I don't know how this should help me, since it a just the australian product page.

I hope somebody here can help me. Otherwise I really have to return it, because of the blurriness I get dizzy rather quickly.

If you need a visualisation I found a YT-Vidio which shows my problem pretty spot on:

https://youtu.be/QZvPnd_xTBs?t=127

As you can see "Library" is perfectly sharp, "Store" is a littly blurry, but you only can guess that "are playing" is in the lower right corner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got an answer from the "lvl2" support:

Sweet Spot - Dies ist der optimale Bereich in der Mitte des Objektivs, um ein perfekt klares Bild zu erhalten. Ein Blick außerhalb dieses Sweetspots ist verschwommener oder verzerrter. Dies ist mit der aktuellen Linsentechnologie unvermeidlich. HP Reverb G2 hat einen größeren Sweet Spot als das G1, aber Sie müssen sicherstellen, dass das HMD richtig positioniert und das IPD korrekt ist.

I translate it for you:

Sweet Spot - This is the optimal Area in the middle of the lens in which you get a perfect clear picture. A look outside of this Sweetspot is more blurry and distorted. This is inevitable with the current lens technology. The HP Reverb G2 got a bigger Sweet Spot than the G1, but you have to ensure that the HMD is positioned correctly and that the IPD is set correct.

So long story short: You gotta deal with it! (unfortunately)

But Sayemone's approach seems promising.

Edit:

I've tested it to wear it without the cushion, so my eyes were almost in touch with the lenses. It seemed that the vertical sweet spot is way better that way. Also the horizontal sweet spot felt like it improved. But it is really uncomfortable to wear it that way. Unfortunately I've ordered a return of my G2, since this is problem way to basic that I could deal with it.

All in all I can say that the G2 is nearly perfect, if there weren't the lenses. For that, HP would have to go back to the drawing board.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hello, I’ve got the same problem

2nd day with the G2

Looks good in the centre very small sweet spot, everything else is blurry 

I’m going to mess with the settings to try and find a way to improve this 

HP Recommended

I have a similar issue, even after tweaking the headset position - would adding lenses help at all? (Eg. solutions like vroptician)

or is there any way to improve this?

HP Recommended

did you fix it?  I'm having the same problem and it's a BIG problem.  In flight simulators it is very bad.  MY CV1 wasn't anywhere near this bad.  I need a resolution or it's going back.

HP Recommended

Since there I'm getting asked if I got a fix. I'm still in contact with the HP Support but now in the so called 2nd Level. If I get a solution i will let you know.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for getting back!  I called support too (chat) and she told me to check for updates here and there, make sure cables are plugged in here and there, and all the standard yada yada.  None of it helped.  She then told me I needed to go back to my supplier (in my case Connection), and work through them.  Since they are not open till Monday, I will have to follow up with them. Not sure where that will go (if anywhere),  so I'll be very interested to see where you end up with it.  Thanks !!!

HP Recommended

Hi

I'm having pretty much same issue.

Got some chromatic abberation (more noticable in certain situations e.g. when looking at text) and sweet spot seems reallly small because of this.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I just got my HP Reverb G2 and have the same issue. If I look off center things get blurry. It is extremely annoying 

HP Recommended

After google search people described the same issue, some managed to partially fix this by swapping the facepad and getting their eyes closer to the lenses.

I ordered a facepad to follow this approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QUO03YWuo

I will take a while before I get it: has anyone tried such solution?

For this price tag one would hope HP could provide official kits for this?

HP Recommended

I got an answer from the "lvl2" support:

Sweet Spot - Dies ist der optimale Bereich in der Mitte des Objektivs, um ein perfekt klares Bild zu erhalten. Ein Blick außerhalb dieses Sweetspots ist verschwommener oder verzerrter. Dies ist mit der aktuellen Linsentechnologie unvermeidlich. HP Reverb G2 hat einen größeren Sweet Spot als das G1, aber Sie müssen sicherstellen, dass das HMD richtig positioniert und das IPD korrekt ist.

I translate it for you:

Sweet Spot - This is the optimal Area in the middle of the lens in which you get a perfect clear picture. A look outside of this Sweetspot is more blurry and distorted. This is inevitable with the current lens technology. The HP Reverb G2 got a bigger Sweet Spot than the G1, but you have to ensure that the HMD is positioned correctly and that the IPD is set correct.

So long story short: You gotta deal with it! (unfortunately)

But Sayemone's approach seems promising.

Edit:

I've tested it to wear it without the cushion, so my eyes were almost in touch with the lenses. It seemed that the vertical sweet spot is way better that way. Also the horizontal sweet spot felt like it improved. But it is really uncomfortable to wear it that way. Unfortunately I've ordered a return of my G2, since this is problem way to basic that I could deal with it.

All in all I can say that the G2 is nearly perfect, if there weren't the lenses. For that, HP would have to go back to the drawing board.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.