Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, to make a long story short: My Reverb G2 stopped working.

I preordered it, and received the device with a two month delay in early December '20. After some minor fiddling during setup the Reverb worked beautifully. I disconnected the power at the outlet after that first trial run, and started using the Reverb G2 again around New Years', and sporadically since then.

Yesterday I used Blender and it's VR Inspection plugin. Worked fine. I quit the session and the WMR portal. A minute or two later I decided on taking another look at the model via the VR inspection. Blender claimed there was no headset present.

The Windows Mixed Reality portal claimed the same thing.  So I ran through the suggested and typical troubleshooting steps:

• Reseated all cable plugs - power, DisplayPort, USB and the HMD side plug.
  • Rebooted the PC to see whether this would fix the issue. It didn't.
  • Next, I completely disconnected the Reverb G2 from my PC and its power supply, rebooted the PC and then proceeded to plug everything in according to the steps outlined in the setup guide. That didn't work.
  • I replugged the Reverb to different DisplayPorts and USB ports (USB 3.1, 3.2 and even a 3.2 USB-C extension card, and lastly on a powered USB 3.1 Hub I have), to no avail.
    The Reverb G2 is still listed as 'disconnected' in the Device Manager.
  • Attempted some troubleshooting guides from communities across the world, notably one here by MYNY.
  • Ran sfc /scannow to rule out corruption issues on Windows' part.
  • Ran a stress test on the graphics card to rule out thermal problems there (not that I expected a problem there - otherwise the system would have likely crashed and burned and not simply, well... ignored the headset).
  • I completely removed the device from the device manager, uninstalled and reinstalled related software. Checked Windows Update for any pending system updates for good measure in case this would help. Spoiler alert, and unsurprisingly for the genre savvy: nope, it didn't work.

Notably, the LED on the cable hub/power brick doesn't light up anymore which leads me to believe it is an issue with the power supply or the entire cable complex. I think I have ruled out software issues thoroughly enough to feel confident to say it's a hardware issue (though I'd be glad to be proven wrong).

System Information:

Intel Core i7 10700k (stock speed, not overclocked)

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC Rev1

64 GB RAM
A Gainward 8GB GeForce GTX1070 with GameReady drivers 461.40 (yes. It's a bottleneck, but up until yesterday it worked the Reverb beautifully in half res.)

Windows 10 Professional 64bit, 20H2 update.

So, dear HP (and also the community), am I missing some super obvious troubleshooting step here? Or is it time to get in touch with the retailer I preordered the Reverb with for a RMA? Or even you directly (which will be challenging considering you're only offering phone support in my country - which I'm unable to use for a number of reasons).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Just to be clear: Another Madman, not Another Mad Man.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Check the following ...

1. Try a different home outlet. Check if the power-brick led for the HP Reverb G2 lights up. If it does, you have a home outlet issue. Could be too weak or too overloaded.

2. If you are using a power strip make sure it's not overloaded. Try a different one or simply try a different outlet as stated above to check if the issue persist. You may also want to check if the outlet has a circuit breaker switch often named a reset switch. If it was automatically triggered, nothing will work until you reset the switch. Both wall outlets and power strips may have reset switches. It's there to prevent blowing a fuse, to protect your devices and to prevent potential fires.

3. If you are using an extension cable, try connecting the headset without it. If it works, you may need to replace the extension cable.

4. If you have the skills you can use a multi-meter to test your outlet to ensure the proper power output. If not ask a friend or hire an electrician to test your outlets.

5. You can try to replace the HP Reverb G2 power-brick outlet 3 prong cable that connects to the power brick. From experience with other devices, that can go bad and just needs to be replaced to get up and running again. Should be easier to find then to try and replace the entire unit at this time.

Something like this .. ( Look up at Amazon )

Linetek 125V-7A 3-Prong AC Power Cord

##########

Actual information on the HP Reverb G2  power prong cable:

125V-7A
LS-15
LINETEK

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I tested my headset to see if the led lights up on the cable after disconnecting the cables from my computer. It won't light up unless I connect the HP Reverb G2 USB-C cable to my system. Therefore, the issue could be related to your usb port and not the power outlet.

If I leave the display cable disconnected from the video card I get an error but the led light on the HP Reverb G2 power cable is on regardless. Once, I connect the display cable back to the video card it's detected immediately and loads the Windows WMR Home.

Just letting you know that it may or may not be your outlet. I thought it would light up without the cables being connected to the computer but that isn't the case.

I don't use USB hubs ect .., I have it directly connected to my Alienware Aurora R9 Intel I7 system.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the suggestions. I went through your list step by step.

The outlets are fine and show the 230V (+-0.3V at the time of measurment) expected for my Central European location. Same for the power strip - stable output. No extension cable in use here.

Plugging the Reverb into a different outlet didn't light up the LED either - both with stock and a spare three-prong cable I had lying around. The tested outlet isn't on the same circuit as the PC/power strip (and both circuits are deliberately kept on a relatively low load), so load should not be the issue.

Thanks for the effort, either way!

[edit] Yeah, like I said in my initial post: I tried the whole plugging and replugging thing with a variety of USB ports. They work fine with other high speed devices, they just stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Headset 😄

Same for the Displayport. Switched up the monitor and Headset ports, monitor works just fine. Reverb remains unresponsive to Windows.

HP Recommended

I know it's a shot in the dark but did you try removing the Windows Mixed Reality drivers and SteamVR from within Steam, reboot and re-install those to see if it resolves it ?

I get how frustrating it can be, that's why I try to help out as many people as I can.

HP Recommended

Yeah, that was covered under the 'uninstall and reinstall related software' bit in my original post unfortunately. 😕 Looks more and more like an actual hardware issue - but whether the headset itself is fine and it's just the cable or power brick on the fritz, or the entire thing went bust, is hard to tell...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.