Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
12-18-2020 10:01 PM
So far, I am very disappointed with HP:
- First, I placed my order with a promise of shipping in mid-November. It did not.
- Then, My order disappeared from the website (because they upgraded to a newer system, and did not bother carrying over the existing orders).
- After several calls, my order finally shipped past more than a month later from its original promised shipping date, and arrived today (19th).
- It worked for a very short while, and then stopped working! All I get is "Check your USB cable. Make sure that the USB cable is plugged into the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. Error code: 4-1"
- When I checked the warranty, I see that it was started 10 days ago (December 09), instead of its shipping date!
- I cannot submit a support case/ticket, because the website shows "This product is no longer serviced by HP. You may search for possible solutions on this support website.". Seriously?
- I called, but they are closed on the weekends. Of course... If they cared about customer experience, none of the above would have happened, and this is just further confirmation.
So far, HP has just been a joke, compared to my experience with my original HTC Vive.
I've learned my lesson, and never again.
For anyone else considering buying an HP Reverb G2, my recommendation would be to stay away!!!
I have already done my homework and tried a bunch of recommendations suggested online, and none of them worked.
Some people said their solution was to get a replacement, which then worked. This suggests that HP is pushing bad units that have not been tested properly, to its customers.
There goes my plans to spend the holidays having fun with my new headset... 😠
12-20-2020 02:03 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.
I am an HP Employee
12-21-2020 03:57 PM
I have the same problem. I preordered way back in September. I was told I'd get it in October, then it got delayed to November, and then delayed again to "before the end of the year". Well I got it, and it worked for all of ONE DAY before it refuses to work. I don't know if it's related to a Microsoft Windows update or not, but after the update and reboot it refuses to work. I get "Check your USB cable. Make sure the USB cable is plugged into the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. Error code 4-1" and nothing I can do works. I've changed ports, I've put it directly into a USB type C port on a PCI-E card, I've tried a powered USB 3.0 hub, and I've tried every port on my computer and nothing works.
I tried an older WMR headset (Odyssey+) and it works just fine so it's not my Mixed Reality Portal.
12-21-2020 04:16 PM
It has nothing to do with Windows updates.
So far, I've tried mine in three different computers, and it works in none of them. This suggests that it is dead.
It's extremely disappointing that HP sells units that cost this much without proper quality control and assurance.
12-21-2020 06:04 PM
Here are some online links referring to G2 units dying or stopping to function properly:
I am sure you can find many more…
This one shows the ratio of users with issues is a whopping >40%!
Looks like HP messed-up big time with this product...
12-21-2020 06:55 PM
I did try to uninstall the update in question and with that, the Mixed Reality portal stopped working altogether. It was mostly a roll-up update with a lot of the same stuff as the previous update but with some "added fixes" apparently.
And yes, I've tried a USB C port on both my motherboard and on a PCI-E card. I didn't start trying the type A adapter until it started failing on the type C.
12-22-2020 01:34 PM
Do you see a difference when you use the direct USB-C connection or the USB-A adapter?
If I use the former, nothing happens, as if I didn't connect it. If I use the latter, it appears in the Device Manager, but then has an issue (maddeningly, three different issues on three different computers!).
Is it the same with you?