1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Upgrading Video Card

HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop 270-P014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am wondering what is the best video card (and power supply upgrade) that I can fit inside this small slimline case.

I started with a slimline 270-P014 (Z5N47AA) desktop. Intel  i7-7700T quad cpu @ 2.9GHz. 8GB RAM DDR4 (with a spare slot avail). Integrated graphics card which ranks very poor.

I added a Samsung NVME 960 M.2 SSD drive as my boot drive (which I'm currently using in PCIE adapter, but will reconnect to M.2 on the motherboard instead. (Currently getting a nice 3GB/sec benchmark).

I will have 1 spare PCIE slot after I move the SSD to the motherboard M.2.

The power supply is called 80 bronze, but seems to be rated for <70Watts.

The main purpose was to conserve space and use for doing basic school stuff on the web and using office. However, I want to add some games and I am finding that the recommended baseline for a video card is geforce-gtx-770 which will never fit, and even if it could fit I would need a much larger PSU.

Now, I spent a lot of time and tracked down a similar slimline but with a video card installed. 270-p023d (Y0P99AA) comes with an AMD R5 435 (2GB) (Radeon I think) video card. The HP support specs say this card draws <30Watts. It also looks like it comes w/ a 180W psu. 

So I'm thinking at worst, I can buy my own AMD R5 435 (2GB) card along with a 180W psu, and I can fit this into the small slimline.

My question to the more informed and more technical than I, gaming community is this. What is likely the best Video card I can put into my slimline?  I cannot fit a nice PSU in there.  I know I need a low profile card, and I have to be careful having a heat synch on the top that extends more than 5.75in to the right. I also have to be carefull with power draw.

These are some physical dimensions which I measured around the PCIE slot which is on the bottom of the motherboard immediately over the PSU:

Existing PSU:     

3.5in W x  2.25in H x 7&7/8in L

Existing space surrounding my only avail PCIE adapter:         

distance above PCIE until I hit the lower clip on the approximately 5.75in to the right & 0.5in up- I hit

lower clip on RAM adapter

distance above PCIE before 5.75" on the right allows me a coupe inches (but I only have a single slot

I can punch out on the back of the case)                  

3in W x 7.5in L until I hit something on the right towards front of the case

distance below PCIE to PSU is 1.5"

Thanks for your help guys!

PS. Here is a link to my product specs where there is detail on the motherboard:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c05525996

PSS. Here is a link to a very similar configuration where this detail on the videocard used: (same as mine only w/ video card and bigger psu)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05519984

6 REPLIES 6
Chicago_Irma
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This blog id a SAD excuse for a lack of HP Support. That said, since nobody bothered to respond to this, I'll share my solution in case someone else needs this.

If you buy a small slimline HP chassis, this graphics card is the best thing out as of 10/2017 that will fit. 1 Card slot. Small cooling fan (silent to mildly audible when it powers up, but it does power down to regulate itself).  Powerful enough for games: 2GB GDDR5.  30WATT which is comparable to the built in graphics on the slimline (30Watt also).

MSI Graphic Cards GT 1030 2G LP OC

I also installed a Samsung NVME 250GB SSD EVO in the M.2 slot on the motherboard and get 3.1GB/sec read speed and about half that in write. Only problem is that I don't believe the motherboard standoff was properly drilled and a normal M3 screw will not fit in to push down the SSD drive. There is a small cable in the area which you can use to cover the SSD to pysh it down.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
MartL
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After some research I decided to install the MSI Graphic Card GT 1030 2G LP OC on my HP Slimline 270-P014. The graphics card fan powers on, but isn't displaying any video. The new video card doesn't show up in the Device manager either. Haven't had much luck with the BIOS. Any suggestions?

Hedhnter
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thankfully, someone took the time to leave me this rock I tripped over.--took me ages to get this close, and that shimmering mirage is taking form now, thanks much!!

TwistedNerd
3 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not exactly a whiz at this stuff but by not displaying video do you mean nothing is appearing on your monitor? If so did you plug your monitor directly into your graphic cards USB port? I ordered the same graphics card for mine and have yet to get it and install it. So if you already found a fix for this issue please tell what it was you did. It would be much appreciated.

Steve400
Level 3
24 22 2 7
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also installed a low-profile1030 GPU recently because of the low power consumption (~30watts). There are a few different brands, I went with Gigabyte because they are well priced, have HDMI and DVI outputs (this varies, check you're getting outputs that will work with your monitor) and are a nice compact size. It works great for recent games on medium setings.

I'm no expert, but I'm told these cards require UEFI rather than BIOS to operate. If you don't know what that means, older computers (2011 and older) will have BIOS and the newer (2012 and later) will generally have UEFI.

The power supply issue is a big one for compact PC's. You could go for a 1050ti graphics card but you'd need a 300W power supply to be confident. The problem is finding a 300w PSU that will fit in a compact case. It starts to become uneconomical when you go down this path. 

Justin_Westbrok
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever find a fix for this I'm having a very similar issue

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation