Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Accelerator GA1- 10
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I have a HP Spectre x360-13-ac0223 dx and a HP Omen Accelerator GA1- 10 Accelerator.  I am running a nVidia 1070 card.  I have little issue running the latest video games. 

As I am sure you are aware in October nVidia released it's new architecture, the 2000 series RTX video cards.  I am specifically looking to get a 2070.  The issue is HP does not maintain a compatibility list for devices. 

Is HP going to update the compatibility list for this device?  Are there drivers to run 2070 cards available?  Which cards?  When will HP update the compatibility list.  Competitors in this space (such as Akitio) have already updated their compatibility lists and released updated firmware.

As a loyal HP customer I expect HP to do the same.  This housing is just over 18 months old.  If anyone has any anecdotes of successfully running a 2070 card on the HP Omen Accelerator please share.  Peace.

I may have an answer soon on this.  I have convinced the gaming tech guys at my local Fry's to let me bring in my equiptment and test install a 2070 card.  Now it simply a matter of me scheduling.  I have volunteered to bring in my Omen Accelerator, ultrabook and test install a 2070 onsite.  If we can get it to work I will buy it if not I will not buy the card.  

Laptop: HP Spectre x360-13-ac0223 dx
eGPU: HP Omen Accelerator GA1- 10
GPU: nVidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
Monitor: ASUS ROG PG279Q 27" G-Sync 2560x1440
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yesterday I purchased a GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition installed it on my HP Omen Accelerator.  Its works!!!!! with a few caveats.

Here is the process I followed:

1. This is the exact card that I bought and installed
  2. I performed every update listed on this page  
  3. I also downloaded and installed the latest nVidia drivers
  4. I then followed these instructions after removing the previous card.

Important notes:

1. When not connected to my ultrabook via the Thunderbolt 3 cable the fan on the GPU runs at max speed, it sounds like a plane taking off.   The card almost goes into a boot mode.  I simply power down the accelerator when not in use.
  2. There are heat "issues", the accelerator cannot handle the heat output.  The solution is quite simple, I just removed the shell while gaming and the inside of the cabinet stays totally cool.  I think it might be a little cramped but technically there should be plenty of room.
    1. The accelerator says it has space for a 330mmx140mmx53mm cards
    2. The 2070 I installed in 228mmx112mmx53mm, so it fits well.
  3. Inserting the set screw was a bit tricky, its like the card does not sit perfectly in the slot.  I had to apply a slight amount of pressure the hole in the card frame would line up with the housing.  Either way it worked with a little bit of patience.
  4. Tested playing Warframe, Overwatch, Skyrim (old school test), Call of Duty Black Ops 4, others... they all ran great.  I was able to use the tippy top settings in basically all the games.  I did eventually bump the settings down so I could run top FPS which is 165 on my monitor.  All and all I am super pleased with the performance.  Even at the exact same settings as my previous card (a 1070) the texture and appearance of rendered objects was WAY more defined.  This card is incredible.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360-13-ac0223 dx
eGPU: HP Omen Accelerator GA1- 10
GPU: nVidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
Monitor: ASUS ROG PG279Q 27" G-Sync 2560x1440
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.