Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 270-p013wb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just tried to install a GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 GV-N1030D5-2GL Low Profile 2G graphics card into my HP Slimline 270-p013wb, and the computer turns on, but the screen is black? Is the card compatible? Do i need cables for the card? Did I install it incorrectly?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you install a video card that was not offered as an optional card from HP, you need to go into the BIOS enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

Hopefully after you make the changes, your new video card will work.

You are kind of putting a strain on the paltry 180W power supply with that model card, unless you upgraded the P/S.

HP Recommended

HI! Thanks for getting back to me.

I followed all the instructions, to no avail. Still the black screen. I don't need any additional cables to connect to the card?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have the same GT 1030 GPU made by EVGA.

It is a fairly low power card (Max power draw of 30W), and needs no supplementary power cable.

I have one other suggestion you can try...

Remove the card again.

Turn on the PC, go back into Windows, go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device manager category.

Right click on the Intel graphics adapter listed there.   Select Uninstall and check the Uninstall driver box.

Shut down the PC, reinstall your graphics card, cross your fingers, and hope that uninstalling the on board graphics adapter and driver resolves the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. I appreciate you working with me.

Still no luck. Unless someone else jumps in on this convo or you tell me I HAVE to get a connector for the DVI slot, the card is getting returned. .

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work either.

I don't know what you mean by having to get a connector for the DVI slot (port).

If you need a HDMI connection to your monitor, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable, but you won't get any audio out from it.

DVI does not transmit audio.

HP Recommended

I'm just grasping at straws, here. I see slots coming out of a card, i assume they need to be filled. LOL

Can't believe how hard it is to get a card to work on this thing! Size was the first issue, now it's compatibility...

HP Recommended

Any one of the 3 video outputs should work....HDMI, DVI or VGA.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue why the card isn't working for you after you having gone through the suggestions I posted.

HP Recommended

I appreciate all your help, Paul. And you respond so FAST!

Do I have to install the drivers for the card BEFORE I install it? The card comes with VERY Little instruction, and my computer came with NONE.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You never install the drivers first because the program will be looking for a compatible graphics card to install the drivers for and it will error out.

There is one possibility that we are both assuming it can't be...and that is the graphics card you bought is defective (DOA).

It happens.

Gigabyte does make good equipment, but once in a while you get a dud.

This is the card I bought for two of my HP PC's.  It works great, silent, and no fan to conk out on you.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Passive-Graphics-02G-P4-6332-KR/dp/B073VPKV26/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=...

Even though your PC only has a 180W P/S, the card should work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.