Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
pavilion 690-0037w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion Desktop 690-0037w gives 3.2 green light and beep error when powered up.  Have re-installed original parts.  No change.  Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @jackandmom 

Hope you both are doing well. 🙂

To clarify, are you saying you removed the ram sticks and put them back in but it did not help?

If so, lets take the the ram testing a little further. Take note of which memory stick is in which slot.

Turn off the PC and unplug the power.

1. I want you to remove the ram stick furthest from the CPU. Turn the power back on and see what happens. If it works, that stick was bad.
  2. If it did not work, cut the power back off again and put that stick back in.  Then remove the other stick closest to the CPU. Power the PC back on.
  3. If that doesn't work either (cut the power again), on the first slot furthest from the CPU, remove that stick again but this time put the other stick into it. Turn on the PC.
  4. If that didn't do anything (cut the power again), do the same thing for the other slot closest to the CPU. Swap its original stick with the other sides stick.

What is the result?

Also, are you still under warranty?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @jackandmom 

Hope you both are doing well. 🙂

To clarify, are you saying you removed the ram sticks and put them back in but it did not help?

If so, lets take the the ram testing a little further. Take note of which memory stick is in which slot.

Turn off the PC and unplug the power.

1. I want you to remove the ram stick furthest from the CPU. Turn the power back on and see what happens. If it works, that stick was bad.
  2. If it did not work, cut the power back off again and put that stick back in.  Then remove the other stick closest to the CPU. Power the PC back on.
  3. If that doesn't work either (cut the power again), on the first slot furthest from the CPU, remove that stick again but this time put the other stick into it. Turn on the PC.
  4. If that didn't do anything (cut the power again), do the same thing for the other slot closest to the CPU. Swap its original stick with the other sides stick.

What is the result?

Also, are you still under warranty?

HP Recommended

Yep, slot 1 must be bad. Moved original ram to slot 2 and we are good. No more beeps and this kid thinks I’m a genius!  Thanks so much 

HP Recommended

You are very welcome and I just want to clarify... Ultimately slot one on the motherboard did not work with either stick in it.

But with slot two, both sticks tried in slot two worked.

If so, then the slot itself on the motherboard has failed which is not as common. The motherboard will have to be replaced and I assume you are still under warranty.

Here is the link to start the claim... Contact Official HP® Support | HP® Customer Support 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Good luck 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.