Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi everyone!

Anyone with a nVidia GeFore 3080TI GPU that came with their Omen 30L encountered the 3rd fan (closest to the front) not spinning up?  The middle fan often if not always is spinning and when the GPU appears to get utilized, the fan closest to the back ports spins up but never the 3rd fan.

This Omen 30L is running Windows 11 Home with a nVidia 3080TI card; Windows, BIOS (F.13), applicable HP drivers and  nVidia Game Ready drivers (v497.29) are all up to date as of the date of this post.  Since Day 1 of receiving this unit, the 3rd fan on the GPU never spins up.  Thinking it's a temperature threshold related issue, I ran 3DMark 10 demo, Tomb Raider GOTY at ultimate settings; even left it running overnight to induce the 3rd fan to spin, nothing.  Then I utilized GPU-Z (v2.43.0) and Precision X1 (v1.3.0.0) and noticed both apps only detects/displays 2 GPU fan settings. 

I've also uninstalled and did a clean install of all the nVidia software including the latest Game Day drivers (v497.29) from the nVidia driver download website.  Restarting everytime.  Uninstalled the Omen Gaming Hub (v1101.2112.1.0) after seeing a related post but didn't yield a positive result so I end up reinstalling it back and toggling the fan setting to performance.  Same negative result even if I manually set the fan speed or (AI tuned) in the nVidia GeFore Experience app (v3.24.0.126).   The presence (or lack of) of a 3rd party Anti-virus software didn't make a difference either.

A colleague of mine had a similar issue with his EVGA 3090 card on his custom gaming rig and the fix he applied in his situation is that it had an OC physical switch on the GPU itself that had to be toggled on but to the best of my observation, I didn't see one on this OEM card.  There appears to be no visible damage either.  Gave the fan a little spin, it freely spins but still nothing.

Any help would appreciate it.  Based on what I've done so far, I'm more inclined that it's a software/driver issue that it's not detecting the 3rd fan, otherwise, if had it been a hardware issue, I would expect that the 3rd fan would have shown up on GPU-Z, Precision X1 and any other similar tweaking apps but indicate 0rpms or an error flag would pop-up.  Ran several diagnostic tests in the System BIOS and everything passed as well.

Thank you everyone in advance and have a safe and happy new year!

Crlmac1

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

How are GPU temps when you stress the graphics card?

Every Nvidia card I have installed will ramp up all fans as temps rise. I have the performance switch on a 2080 set to off.

I would like to get a 3080Ti but the scalpers have killed that dream. So all fans on my 2080 are off until the card hits a certain temperature threshold. All fans run at this set point. 

So, I can't say you have a hardware problem but it is possible. All fans should start unless The 3000 series cards are using a different algorithm.

Again, is the card getting hot?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

No load and after not turning it on for a day according to the Omen Gaming Hub it's currently at 26c/78F.  On boot-up I observed the same 2 fans spinning and not the 3rd fan.  GPU-Z has the GPU temperature at 80.4F, Hot Spot at 90.8F while Memory temperature at 89.6F

Ran 3D Mark10 Time Spy Demo and saw the GPU temperature on the nVidia Performance overlay spiked up to 83c.  Still only 2 fans were spinning.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Those temps are not good. All fans should run when you start the PC or run a benchmark or stress test like Time Spy. My 2080 hits about 78 C on the Time Spy loop test. I normally hit about 98% on the test which is a passing score.

I would contact HP (Link) if you are in warranty.

I don't tear down graphics cards. Maybe someone else in the forum does this. The graphics card has a hardware problem (a sensor, the fan, or a connection)

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.