Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Have a similar question. I am assuming any SATA drive will work. Found the mounting screws needed. But can't figure out how to power the new drive. Anyone at HP who can tell us how to power another SATA drive on a 790?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Goldberg2018

What is your machine actually ? Please check its product code on a label at its back. Normally SATA cables do have connector for power.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My machine is a 790-0031DT, it has the same power supply and chassis as the 790-020 and similar motherboard.

The SATA Power connections in this machine are not the standard. It doesn't come with power line connectors for added drives, or even the normal 4-pin MOLEX connectors that most SATA power cables are made to tie in with. You're right that SATA connectors for power are common and easy to find, but all the ones I have are set up for 4-pin MOLEX power connections.

Instead there's a six-pin mini ATX female connector on the motherboard labeled "SATA power" (red circle in photo). There's also a free 6/8 pin male ATX connector harness on the power supply--I believe it's designed for graphics cards that need their own power supply (blue circle).  HP 790 power.JPG

The problem I'm having is finding a cable which has SATA 15-pin power connectors on one end and either of these connectors on the other. So far I bought a cable but it had full-size six pin ATX instead of mini.

Not to mention that HP doesn't have this info anywhere, or a way to buy such a cable on their site.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.