Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my RTX 1060 3GB to RTX 2060 16 GB. What all would I need to do and would I need to change out anything else with it so it doesn’t put strain on anything else. I’d rather upgrade before I go out and buy a newer PC. 

thanks in advance. 😁

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Chrisrwhit 

It should work but you need to make sure what power connectors are needed for what ever card you get. Some of the 2060's use one connector, others two. Make sure your PSU can accommodate  it. Make sure of the free space in the case to accept the length of what ever card you choose also.

Personally its not worth the cost per performance ratio to make that specific upgrade. Waste of money, even with the exception of more Vram. If you can wait a couple months, see what the RTX 3000 series will offer. Its predicted to be a much better price per performance ratio.  Just my opinion. 🙂

HP Recommended

I have the same system and was able to replace my GTX 1060 3GB with an RTX 2060 SUPER FE card.

System runs fine using the 500w power supply and this card. In fact, I was told that I could have put a 2070 SUPER or even a 2080 in and still had plenty of power to spare.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.