Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMen 880-068
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if i could upgrade the internal hard drive to a SSD?

And is the AMD Ryzen7-1800X (Summit Ridge) 3.6 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads the best upgrade for the CPU that could be recommended i currently have a Ryzen5-1400

Ive upgraded to a GTX 1650 Super and Cosair 16GB x2 Ram but still having some performance issues with games

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @carter427 

Yes you can add an M.2 NVMe SSD for the boot drive. You will want to disconnect the HDD first before installing Windows.

You can add a Sata SSD if you prefer, but an NVMe will be much faster.

Yes you could install up to the 1800X, but the bigger issue will be the liquid cooler that HP installed with that CPU. HP doesn't sell them and its almost impossible to find on the net. Part number 928210-001

You could add your own liquid cooler which utilizes an Intel pattern rather than AMD. But I have heard mixed results on adding a third party cooler like the CORSAIR  Hydro Series H60. I have been told by one user that they were able to separate the glued on bracket from the back of the motherboard and then they could fit a cooler. But I have not done this myself to test with.

Otherwise if you want to avoid all the trouble, you could go with the Ryzen7 1700 65w CPU which uses the same air cooler that you have on your system now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @carter427 

Yes you can add an M.2 NVMe SSD for the boot drive. You will want to disconnect the HDD first before installing Windows.

You can add a Sata SSD if you prefer, but an NVMe will be much faster.

Yes you could install up to the 1800X, but the bigger issue will be the liquid cooler that HP installed with that CPU. HP doesn't sell them and its almost impossible to find on the net. Part number 928210-001

You could add your own liquid cooler which utilizes an Intel pattern rather than AMD. But I have heard mixed results on adding a third party cooler like the CORSAIR  Hydro Series H60. I have been told by one user that they were able to separate the glued on bracket from the back of the motherboard and then they could fit a cooler. But I have not done this myself to test with.

Otherwise if you want to avoid all the trouble, you could go with the Ryzen7 1700 65w CPU which uses the same air cooler that you have on your system now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.