Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-112na

Having just replaced my 250 Gb SSD with a 1Tb SSD I have discovered a) That my Desktop is a Gaming PC (I don't do gaming)  and b)That there are 2 external drive bays at the top for slotting in Hard Drives

I can find instructions for replacing hard drives in these bays but are there any anywhere for how you fit one in the first place (just slid one in and it wasn't recognised.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@woldsweather , welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide to help you remove and install a hard drive in the top bays:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05535552

You will have to use a 3.5" hard drive in the tray.  Once it is installed in the tray, when you insert it into the bay, it should match the connectors inside the bay.

I had the same setup at one time.  I had no problems with a 3.5" drive, but could never get a 2.5" to match the connectors even with an adapter.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Yes I had seen that but was looking for more detail of how to do it from scratch. In particular when I fitted a drive in the slot last night none of the computer screws I have would fit so wondered what type were needed.

HP Recommended

Do drives just push in and connect (as I had on a Medion) . Or do you have to open the box and connect them up - and are therefor unable to just pull them out without opening and disconnectiin.

HP Recommended

What screwws are required to secure the drive. I have connected the drive to the bay but it won't slide in as the heads of the screws prvent this. These are normal PC screws I have saved over the years. What is the full name of the correct screws?

HP Recommended

Here is a guide that will help you:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05538950

Watch the video for the type of screws that are required to hold the drive in place in the drive tray.  You may have to check with a local computer shop to get the exact screws, if you don't have them.  They appear to have flat heads which will allow the tray to be inserted into the bay.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I found one screw and put the drive in with that it pushed all the way in but it's not working. There are no connections to make then?

HP Recommended

Hello
have you finally succeeded  @woldsweather ??
finally, what have you installed in the bay, a sata 3.5 hard drive, or the SSD certainly in 2.5?

in the document given by @old_geekster , it is a sata 3.5 hard drive

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05538950

if you have an SSD it is not the same!
It must be well fixed, and that the connectors are placed correctly in the box then!

Then you have to check in disk management if it is present!

Annotation 2020-08-08 130732.png

if the disc is blank you must have what is written here disc 2
if the disk is not empty, you must have what is in disk 0 or for example in disk 1!
it is according to the partitions that are already created on the disk
give a screenshot of your computer like here, it might help!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

have installed a normal type of 3.5 inch HD but it's not detected in disk management. Not convinced its slotted into the connection correctly. Is there a wrong and right way up?

HP Recommended

is your hard drive new?
have you tested both compartments?
normally, there is nothing special to do, you fix the hard drive in the case, then you have to push it all the way into the compartment.
There are already connectors, which must be connected in the tower!
If the hard drive does not work in both cases, and you place it correctly, either it is defective, or by bad luck the two have not been connected.
It will therefore be necessary to check by opening the computer!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.