Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have an HP Omen Obelisk, Intel I9, GTX 1660, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD. Bought almost exactly one year ago. I can provide additional info if needed. 

I am looking to add more storage, and there’s an additional 3.5” HDD bay that’s empty. With games getting more and more advanced, I feel like it’s beneficial to get an SSD. I can easily find a 2.5” SSD, the mount/adapter to fit a 3.5” bay, and SATA III cables on Amazon.

Is it really as easy as just switching out the SATA cables for SATA III, plugging it in and booting up? Or would I have to change BIOs or do some additional steps? I am fairly new to PC’s and haven’t made any modifications to the one I bought. I also would have no idea how to change out the SATA cables, if someone could help with that too. 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JoeBoJoe,

You have the grasp of the installing and connections. The last thing is that the new drive needs to be formatted to accept data. I would feel better if I knew the exact model number of this unit.  It that 256GB SSD an NVMe ? That would make a big difference in the reply I made below, and have a different reply, as games are usually defaulted to the boot device storage.

Press START button

Open Control Panel (you should be in Classic View).

Open Administrative Tools

Click to open Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

It will show you the existing devices, in descending order:

DISK0 likely the 256GB SSD   Stay away from that.

DISK1 should be a 1TB HDD (1TB drives format as 931 GB capacity)  Stay away from that.

The added drive should show up as Disk2.  It will show as "unknown".    (See GPT below, now)

Right-click an unallocated region on your 'new" hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.

In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.

Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.

Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.

In the Format Partition dialog box:  use GPT format, not NTFS.

To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

Review your choices, and then click Finish.

GPT format.........read here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@JoeBoJoe 

Yes, that is a very simple plug-and-play for SATA drives. Please check to be sure you have spare SATA port with power.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! 

I am away from it as of now, but can reply with the product number shortly. I do know that the 256GB SSD is an NVMe, and has Windows installed on it, but the entire library of games I have are stored on the 1TB HDD, as far as I’m aware. 

Does this change the response you have or would it be the same process? 

HP Recommended

@JoeBoJoe,

If you are gaming from the 1TB, that is slow.  An NVMe is 6 times faster than any 3.5" mechanical HD.  A 2.5" SSD drive more reliable, but not easily faster (see # 7 on the list) than the 3.5" drive. That is based on the fact that either device would be subjected to the limitations of the SATA3 internal speed, typically 500MB/s.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

UPDATE: 

Model Number: 875-0034

image.jpg

 This is for context: there’s the NVMe SSD, the HDD in the first bay, and the second bay open with 2 cables, I’m assuming one is power and the other is a SATA. I know I would need the adapter to put a 2.5 inch SSD in there and a SATA III cable, but I don’t know where the current SATA goes to swap it out (I may be wrong, but it looks like it goes directly into the power supply?)

HP Recommended

@JoeBoJoe,

The hard drive on the left has both cables, the bigger is power, the smaller is data. I do not see those on the right as equal cabling.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.