Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-252na

My Desktop Link - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04949190

I was wondering can anyone suggest the best DDR3 RAM which I can add for gaming purposes. I already upgraded my GPU and PSU. 

Looking to upgrade CPU and RAM now. Already know what CPU I want to get which is the Core i7 6700.

What I needed to know is can anyone recommend RAM I should get.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Alex176 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the memory that is recommended for your computer by Crucial Memory.  I suggest that you use CPU-Z to determine the manufacturer and timings of the current memory.  This information is in the tab titled "SPD".  You may have to remove the current memory if it is not compatible with Crucial's memory.  This can be determined by contacting their Tech Support.  It is best to install memory in pairs since the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  If you decide not to go with their memory, it will give you an idea of what is needed.  If you decide to go with high-power gaming memory it is best to contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to assure that it is compatible with the HP motherboard.

The best upgrade that you could make for gaming is installing a Solid-State Drive (SSD).  This will decrease boot times and increase system performance considerably.  While you are on the Crucial site take a look at the SSD's that they recommend for your system.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Alex176 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the memory that is recommended for your computer by Crucial Memory.  I suggest that you use CPU-Z to determine the manufacturer and timings of the current memory.  This information is in the tab titled "SPD".  You may have to remove the current memory if it is not compatible with Crucial's memory.  This can be determined by contacting their Tech Support.  It is best to install memory in pairs since the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  If you decide not to go with their memory, it will give you an idea of what is needed.  If you decide to go with high-power gaming memory it is best to contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to assure that it is compatible with the HP motherboard.

The best upgrade that you could make for gaming is installing a Solid-State Drive (SSD).  This will decrease boot times and increase system performance considerably.  While you are on the Crucial site take a look at the SSD's that they recommend for your system.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.