1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Adding a SSD and transferring files

HP Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

So i have had my 870-244 HP Omen desktop for a little over a year now. I am looking to buy an SSD [Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW)] for it as an upgrade. I checked and it should fit properly as the motherboard as a m.2 slot for an SSD. I am a little curious and have questions on what to do after installing the SSD.

When i first install the SSD and start my PC up, will it prompt me to install windows 10 on the SSD? Or will i have to do more work and transfer/uninstall Windows 10 from the HDD? I spoke to a HP assistant and they informed me they will send a USB with the operating system on it.

Second - When i get Windows 10 installed on the SSD, i will be wanting to transfer over some apps like Steam and the Blizzard client. Will i have to uninstall them from the HDD or can i transfer them to the SSD? - If i have to uninstall, should i do that prior to installing the SSD or does it not matter?

If you have any questions, tips, or can help at all - please let me know!

Thank you guys!

1 REPLY 1
Level 19
Level 19
80,366 80,260 9,968 21,504
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Adding a SSD and transferring files

@MaxwellRWood

The quickest way is to clone existing HDD to new SSD, that means all files/programs will be on new SSD and no need to copy/transfer anything. I normally do (for M.2 SSD or normal SSD),

(a) Mount new SSD as external drive (using an adapter or enclosure),

(b) Clone existing HDD to SSD using cloning software. There are many free software around,

(c) Remove existing HDD and install SSD,

(d) Let machine running for 1 week or two then format old HDD and put it back for more storage.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation