Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870VX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

just what do I need to add an additional hard drive to my desktop? It already has a 512 SSD plus a 3T hard drive. There is room for another drive but I think it may need a bracket and ATA cable. 

Any help would be appreciated 

thanks

Tom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@tpm419,

Thanks for the response.

I didn’t mean to discourage you in upgrading the components on your PC.

I understand the need of doing it. You may still proceed with the upgrade.

As I saw the picture once again and would like to confirm that yes, you can still go ahead and add the hard drive with a standard SATA cable.

That shouldn’t cause any problems. I meant to inform you that the warranty on your HP PC will not cover the part that you upgrade to your requirements.

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

IMG_6883.JPG

Tom
HP Recommended

Hello@tpm419,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that you need assistance in understanding the upgrade of hardware on your PC. I will definitely help you.

The bay seems to be available for one more hard drive as you mentioned.

I request your top look for any extra black connectors to that of the ones connected to the current hard drive.

If not, you can get connectors from any local store.

Hope that answers your question. Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
I do need an extra SATA cable but the ones used already have a grounding wire screwed to hard drive cage. Can I use a standard SATA cable without the grounding wire? Also where can I get hard drive mounting screws ( 4 ) that secure hard drive into slot

Thank you

Tom
HP Recommended
http://i.imgur.com/GC3Tdy4.jpg

Picture of my hard drive bay

Tom
HP Recommended

Hi@tpm419,

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure if you get any brackets while purchasing any SSD.

I request you to take the PC to a Computer store and have the recommended part replaced on your PC.

Saves time and hassle of upgrading yourself.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I'm not installing an SSD drive, it will be a standard drive. There are usually guide screws to attach to the hard drive so it fits in the slot in the hard drive bracket. Please ask someone more knowledgeable as taking it to a store is an unacceptable answer

Tom
HP Recommended

Hi@Democles,

Thanks for the response.

To answer your question, HP recommends not to do any hardware/software changes on the PC as the changes have not been tested by HP.

Any hardware issues due to upgrade/downgrade or hardware/software changes will void Factory warranty. It will be your sole discretion to do so.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Guess I'll wait a year and than HOPEFULLY HP will figure out what I need to add a simple hard drive. 

Tom
HP Recommended

Hi@tpm419,

Thanks for the response.

I didn’t mean to discourage you in upgrading the components on your PC.

I understand the need of doing it. You may still proceed with the upgrade.

As I saw the picture once again and would like to confirm that yes, you can still go ahead and add the hard drive with a standard SATA cable.

That shouldn’t cause any problems. I meant to inform you that the warranty on your HP PC will not cover the part that you upgrade to your requirements.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.