Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
That was very helpful . I will need to find the hard drive guide screws to secure it to the bay

Thank you very much and enjoy your holiday

Tom
HP Recommended

Hi@tpm419,

Thanks for the response.

I am glad to be of help to you. I request you to be careful while upgrading any components on the PC, just to avoid losing the factory warranty.

You can contact HP Support Forums for any issues on your HP products in the future as well.

Merry Christmas and Advanced New Year wishes to you.

Happy Holidays.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have an Omen 870-137c with exactly the same issue.  I want to add another HDD, and there is clearly a space for one, but a special, sled-type bracket is required.  Every HP agent I have spoken with is totally clueless!!  One recommended a bracket which I purchased on eBay only to find out it was a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter...totally useless as is HP support.

HP Recommended

For me it was just 4 simple screws that attached to the hard drive and slid into the existing brackets. Plus I had to add a sata wire. Was told it didn't need to be grounded like the ones already installed were

Tom
HP Recommended

Let me understand, you attached 4 screws to the bare drive and THEN slid it into the existing bracket?  I can't quite visualize how this could possibly secure the drive to the bracket.

My complaint is that HP provides a very elegant solution to mounting drives in positions #1 & #2.  It consists of depressing the edge of the mounting bracket which releases it to slide out.  THEN you can access 4 screws (2 on each side) which afix the drive to this bracket.  However, this bracket is absent from the #3 drive bay and it is not available for purchase anywhere.  I think it should be included since HP has obviously provided for a third drive in every other way (a third drive bay / slot, a SATA connector which hovers just above the empty space, and a socket on the motherboard identified as SATA 3 which is adjacent to the SATA 2 and SATA 1 sockets).

I was able to slide a bare drive into the #3 position and was just barely able to insert ONE screw throught the side of the drive bay and into the drive.  This prevents vibration but I don't feel it is the best solution.  Obviously HP doesn't feel this is optimal either as the other two drives are attached with four screws.

HP Recommended
All I had to do was screw the 4 pan head screws to the bare drive and slide it in. To take out the drive I just need to depress the stop on the internal bracket. Needed to purchase a SATA wire as well

Tom
HP Recommended
Look at my picture in beginning of post

Tom
HP Recommended

Take a picture of your setup

Tom
HP Recommended

OK, that's where the catch is for me.  You said you depressed the  stop on the internal bracket to slide it out.  My computer does not have this internal bracket in this drive bay.  It is present on the SSD and the 3TB drives which came preinstalled but it is missing from the third, empty space.  I contacted HP through chat on two different occasions and, although they referred to a part number for this internal bracket, they do not sell it nor would they provide me with one.

Although I have installed a third drive and it is working perfectly, I would like to secure my installation properly but that seems impossible.

I appreciate your feedback and I apologize if I sounded irritated.  My irritation is with HP and their inability or unwillingness to help.  In one of my chats with them, they asked where I purchased my unit.  When I told them Costco, they told me to contact Costco for the part!!

HP Recommended

HP isnt much help and Costco has nothing to do with it. The SSD drive is hidden but there are 3 drives there

IMG_8200.JPG

Tom
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.