Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The unit came with 16G RAM. I'd like to build it out to the maximum with another 16G.

What Brand RAM would you recommend? Does it need to be the same as what is there already or can I mix brands? If I want a particular brand, then, do I need to replace all the memory for optimal performance?

Anyone know what brand memory comes in the unit from the factory? I haven't opened the case yet.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

One of my PC's with 32 GB of memory has two Patriot 8 GB and 2 Mushkin 8 GB.   PC3-10600.

No problems with performance or compatiblilty.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have zipped up and attached a free utility below, that will give you a good deal of info regarding the memory your PC currently has installed.  It might even tell you who makes it--or at least who the chip manufacturer is.

As long as the memory has the same specs including the timing specs, you shouldn't have to purchase the exact same memory that is in there now, unless you can find it at a reasonable price, and you should be able to 'mix and match.'

I think I only have one PC where I replaced all of the memory inside and that was because I went from 4 x 4 GB to 4 x 8 GB.

In that one instance I replaced it with four identical memory modules from the same manufacturer.

I have personally used Patriot, Crucial, Mushkin, and G.Skill memory in my HP desktops, all worked with no issues.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

The unit comes with four slots and only two are filled, each with an 8G module. So, it's not really necessary to replace all the memory unless performance and compatibility are an issue.

I figured I could probably mix and match, but consistency is a hobgoblin for me.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

One of my PC's with 32 GB of memory has two Patriot 8 GB and 2 Mushkin 8 GB.   PC3-10600.

No problems with performance or compatiblilty.

HP Recommended

I ended up with a 16GB kit (2x8GB) of Corsair Vengence DDR4 2133 memory. I filled the remaining slots and all has been well. At some point I want to replace the other two sticks with matching memory, but that is for another day.

Thanks for the information and assistance.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Enjoy the better performance with the additional memory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.